Owings DFA’ed

Legend_Of_Joey

I guess Elias had a good reason for wanting a veteran utility player who might sit for 5 to 6 days a week, and not wanting a younger player to sit most of the time as opposed to getting at bats at Norfolk.

But even for a seldom used utility player there has to be at least a minimum level of production and Owings wasn't providing anything. Even a McKenna provides speed on the bases and defense if he isn't hitting. Owings can't do that at this stage of his career. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I guess Elias had a good reason for wanting a veteran utility player who might sit for 5 to 6 days a week, and not wanting a younger player to sit most of the time as opposed to getting at bats at Norfolk.

But even for a seldom used utility player there has to be at least a minimum level of production and Owings wasn't providing anything. Even a McKenna provides speed on the bases and defense if he isn't hitting. Owings can't do that at this stage of his career. 

The Bench is too short for even an Owings to sit that much. 

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Owings OPSed 1.048 in 50 PAs last year for Colorado, and .757 the year before in 44.

That much changed when he turned 30 that he "can't" even OPS .400 this year?   I wouldn't say he can't.   He just didn't, in the 60ish PAs we gave him.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The good news is that we replaced his spot with an equally terrible player.  Awesome!

Yeah, I don't see why they picked him up. If they don't have a throw away reliever in the Minors this far in the rebuild, we're in for a few more years.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Owings OPSed 1.048 in 50 PAs last year for Colorado, and .757 the year before in 44.

That much changed when he turned 30 that he "can't" even OPS .400 this year?   I wouldn't say he can't.   He just didn't, in the 60ish PAs we gave him.

Um, small sample size.  McKenna also OPS'ed close to 1.200 in about 100 at bats in AAA a couple of years ago.  David Newhan looked like an inner circle Hall of Famer for a month.  etc, etc.