Is it Sustainable?

Yossarian

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias had a miserable April but he has been solid ever since. Currently just under his career norm OPS and headed in the right direction. No reason to think he can't continue to OPS .750. I think Westburg would almost certainly be better than Mateo but I'm not sure Vavra will be better than Urias.

You have to factor in Mateo's defensive prowess and the possibility that Westburg will need as much time to adapt as some even more highly rated prospects have this season and last.

8 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Curious as to why Vavra isn’t ready now but will be in a week?

Its just my guess.   Elias IMO likes to get about 200 PA at a level for a prospect that is spending his first year at that level.     Vavra is at 181 PA at AAA.  So another 19 PA and he will have reached that level.   

The other thing that has to happen is that there has to be need in the majors for Vavra and there seems to be.   Nevin or Arauz can be sent to AAA and Vavra can share time at 2B with Odor.   Of course Vavra's OBP is very desirable if it translates to the Majors.   However,  there are questions above his arm strength and ability to turn the double play.

Stowers has reached the 200 PA level a few weeks ago but there is no opening  in the outfield or at DH.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias had a miserable April but he has been solid ever since. Currently just under his career norm OPS and headed in the right direction. No reason to think he can't continue to OPS .750. I think Westburg would almost certainly be better than Mateo but I'm not sure Vavra will be better than Urias.

But, will he be better than Odor.  Play Urias at 3rd.

We will soon find out how sustainable our run this year is.  We start to play real good teams including from the AL East.  I think it could be sustainable because no 1 or 2 players are carrying the team, but most all are playing  good, so maybe they will not all slump at the same time.  

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can they sustain winning every game? No.   Can they win 85?  I think so.

Hall and Harvey are both ready. Harvey was not supported by the kind of catching pen, and defense that the team has now.  I look for the coaches to help Bradish get some movement on his fastball.  That makes the starting 8 deep.   I think the pen can continue to do well especially with the starters going deeper.

If the O's keep playing well I could see Westburg, Gunnar and Vavra  joining the team in the 2nd half.  Stowers is ready now and Vavra will be ready in about a week.  

I think there is a good chance this is a playoff team if Elias doesn't sell off key player(s) at the deadline.

It is horrifying to me that you view a guy who hasn't even been close to "league average" since 2016 as a viable reinforcement. Harvey is toast and was only ever here to be an innings eater for the second season in a row. Not a guy expected to provide any positive value.

11 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It is horrifying to me that you view a guy who hasn't even been close to "league average" since 2016 as a viable reinforcement. Harvey is toast and was only ever here to be an innings eater for the second season in a row. Not a guy expected to provide any positive value.

Pretty silly thing to be horrified over.  Hope you have more going on in your life that it does not impact you too much.

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Not a big fan of Harvey but he pitched better than his ERA said last year.  He can come up, give you some innings and keep you in most games.  Not going to be a great pitcher by any stretch but he can be good enough to provide you value.