Soto & Ohtani Might Be Available, interested?

NelsonCruuuuuz

Just now, Frobby said:

They can, but shouldn’t.  

Can't say without a lot more data but yea, would depends on costs.

A couple of years of cost controlled super star player could give the O's their best shot at a ring.

A long term deal for either probably wouldn't work out well for the O's and I doubt either would be interested in signing here in the first place.

So maybe Soto isn’t interested in a 15 year deal.

Lets say he wants something shorter…say 6 years 240M.

I would easily give him 40-50M a year.

The problem is what do you give up to get him?  One of GRod or Gunnar, another one of our top 8 guys and 2-3 guys in the 9-20 range.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem is what do you give up to get him?  One of GRod or Gunnar, another one of our top 8 guys and 2-3 guys in the 9-20 range.

Honestly, I’d give up Gunnar, not Grod but I’d do that deal if he would extend which is highly highly unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It still amazes me how the Angels can have two of the best players in baseball and not be at the top of the league.

They need to sign Lebron and get him to bring Wade and Bosh with him.  Then they'd be unbeatable.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, the Os aren’t far away.

Secondly, the reason they cost a lot is because they are incredibly elite players and you always want guys like that.

That being said, I wouldn’t even consider either player.  Soto turned down 15/440, which is astounding to both offer and turn down.  

Im not paying big 9 figure contracts and trading a ton for any player in MLB.

The Orioles would be far away if they traded the guys it would take to get either of these guys. Both teams that they are coming from aren’t very good despite having them for cheap   Of course they are great, but baseball isn’t basketball.  One guy doesn’t make as much of a difference.  For each I am assuming G-Rod, Mountcastle, plus more prospects would be necessary.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He would cost too much at a position that isn’t that hard to find quality guys at for a team with limited resources.   The Orioles would be better of paying for talent at more scarce positions. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The Orioles would be far away if they traded the guys it would take to get either of these guys. Both teams that they are coming from aren’t very good despite having them for cheap   Of course they are great, but baseball isn’t basketball.  One guy doesn’t make as much of a difference.  For each I am assuming G-Rod, Mountcastle, plus more prospects would be necessary.  

The problem with what you are saying is that you are assuming everything we trade ends up good.

Soto is an MVP level player and is 23 years old.  Those aren’t easy to come by.  If we could get him without giving up Adley, Gunnar or GRod and we could get him to sign a 6-8 year deal for 250-300M, I would do it.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The problem with what you are saying is that you are assuming everything we trade ends up good.

Soto is an MVP level player and is 23 years old.  Those aren’t easy to come by.  If we could get him without giving up Adley, Gunnar or GRod and we could get him to sign a 6-8 year deal for 250-300M, I would do it.

Mountcastle, DL, Westburg, and Kjesrtad ?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would easily make that deal…if he signed the extension.

I can see the argument, but I would rather have Ohtani even if cost a little more.  He is more help in a weaker part of the team.  I also worry that Soto will not be a good defender.