2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

With Jones having been reported as signed yesterday, how quickly can we expect Holliday to sign? 

Does he go directly to the FCL?  In 2019, Gunnar played in 29 Gulf Coast League games.  In 2021, Coby Mayo played in 26 FCL games before being promoted to Delmarva, where he ended up playing 27 games.

3 hours ago, Hazmat said:

With Jones having been reported as signed yesterday, how quickly can we expect Holliday to sign? 

Does he go directly to the FCL?  In 2019, Gunnar played in 29 Gulf Coast League games.  In 2021, Coby Mayo played in 26 FCL games before being promoted to Delmarva, where he ended up playing 27 games.

Pretty soon, apparently.

https://sports.yahoo.com/druw-jones-contract-diamondbacks-set-025237629.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIEIrSJoIFOKFdADCwtoEdeqZyGvQSKj2-PqmfIBeLUHD1reEHOuWgkOYgb3lh5BLof1NzfyUoF6oeJ-Idaod7kk7xzKREvMADx1PXVcjr6L0xEe433ePeIH3YSz3SJ-7zDc52nhBs784mGWDPPEhjjh_LwsgjotKzot6m7-8QoD

He might not hold the record for long. The Associated Press reported that the No. 1 pick, Jackson Holliday, also has a deal in place for more than $8 million. If it is for full slot value, the signing bonus would be $8.84 million.

That link goes to a WaPo article though.  

CBS Sports says the deal is place:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/jackson-holliday-and-druw-jones-top-picks-in-2022-mlb-draft-have-contractual-agreements-in-place-per-report/

Jackson Holliday and Druw Jones, the top two picks in Major League Baseball's 2022 amateur draft, have agreements in place with their respective clubs, according to Ronald Blum of the Associated Press. Though neither deal has been announced, Blum notes both players are expected to receive signing bonuses that exceed $8 million.

Here's Blum's reporting on the matter:

Holliday and Jones, both represented by Boras, have agreements for signing bonuses in excess of $8 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deals have not been announced.

Holliday, a prep shortstop from Oklahoma and the son of former All-Star outfielder Matt Holliday, was selected No. 1 by the Baltimore Orioles. The slot value, as ordained by MLB, has that pick worth $8.84 million. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Thats good to know Jackson will be playing very shortly and there wont be a drawn out negotiation delaying his debut. 

7 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Awesome!  Let's hope the reports are accurate.

I think Elias had to already know what his number was going to be.  I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is announced this weekend with the Yankees in town.  

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Elias had to already know what his number was going to be.  I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is announced this weekend with the Yankees in town.  

I agree, with the first few picks being so similar in talent and no clear cut, sure number one, the team with the number 1 choice had to know what it would take to sign each one. 

On 7/19/2022 at 1:21 PM, MurphDogg said:

Will be interesting to see whether Holliday tops Jones. My guess is that he gets $8.2M to barely clear him.

Also, no surprise that Jones wasn't, in fact, only willing to sign for $10M as was postulated by a couple people.

I was way off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

He set a record by $600.  Wow.

I saw the Heyman tweet about "a touch" and the only thing I wondered about was how thin a slice would the Economic Analyst cut.    If I was a great ballplayer and there was another ballplayer about as great as me, a delta that small isn't something I'd care about getting.

I thought Druw was 8.184mm though; if so Holliday 8.19mm is a more respectable 60K.

Edit - googling I didn't have all the decimal places memorized...Druw 8.1894mm.    I think difference still works out to thousands though.