2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He shouldn't be four years after Westburg/Gunnar.  If he is, something went wrong.

Fine... My guess is that they still won't be stumbling on top of each other. Maybe it will be an infield of Gunnar, Holliday and Westburg. 

• Upvote 2

I really like the pick, as Holliday's hit tool is supposed to be just a bit lower than Johnson's. Plus, Jackson hits from the left side, which, with the new left field wall, also helps. 

Several scouting guides claim that Jackson is also supposed to be very athletic and good character make up.  

It seems Elias places a lot of emphasis on Character make up, athleticism, and hit tool. Looking at this pick through that lens, it's a prototypical Elias pick 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias feels he stays at SS…that tells me he had him #1 on the board.

In good with it.  I wanted Jones but Elias took the player he wanted, so we should all be happy with that.

It's a far cry from the days of Matt Hobgood, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Didn’t realize he broke the national hit record this year with 89, Topping JT Realmuto.   Swing looks nice.  I imagine he is gonna add every bit of 30lbs over the next 3-4 years.   The more I read about him the more I like.  Excited to see what he can do.  

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

What does this mean Tony?

I think Tony was upset that someone started a thread talking about the Orioles draft pick preemptively.  Tony had asked posters not to do this but wait for the official thread on each pick. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Well that’s a little disappointing but I’m still thrilled to have Holliday.  I guess Callis knows what he’s talking about. 

edit- well slot is over 8.8 so we could still have significant savings here.  I was thinking slot was closer to 8. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder if the Gunnar project going so well helped influence anything here.

Adley-Gunnar-Kjerstad-Cowser-Holliday....someday right handed balance in Orioles lineups is going to be a thing.

Adley switch hits. Mayo, Mountcastle, Westburg, maybe Hays, Norby.

It’s kind of even.

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Well that’s a little disappointing but I’m still thrilled to have Holliday.  I guess Callis knows what he’s talking about. 

It was pretty clear he likely would have gone to Arizona.  Not much leverage.    Gotta believe in the pick I guess.