2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did anyone have that theory?

Yes.  It may have been you.  I'm not 100% sure but when we argued I said the Orioles weren't cheap because they spend virtually their full allotment and you said they were cheap in a different way, in that they didn't want to pay a HS player (Lawlar?) full slot.  Remember?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.  It may have been you.  I'm not 100% sure but when we argued I said the Orioles weren't cheap because they spend virtually their full allotment and you said they were cheap in a different way, in that they didn't want to pay a HS player (Lawlar?) full slot.  Remember?

As usual, you don’t understand context.

I never said they wouldn’t pay a HS kid.  I said, IN RESPONSE to those who think they are cheap, one of the only ways you could call them cheap is if they wouldn’t pay a HS kid a lot of money. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

As usual, you don’t understand context.

I never said they wouldn’t pay a HS kid.  I said, IN RESPONSE to those who think they are cheap, one of the only ways you could call them cheap is if they wouldn’t pay a HS kid a lot of money. 

And now they are going to pay a HS player a lot of money. 

11 hours ago, linedrive said:

I was pleasantly surprised at this pick. I expected either Druw Jones or Termarr Johnson, but I think this was the right pick. If the O's were worried about signing Jones, they're not going to save any money on this pick, which is why I was a bit surprised, but I love that we now have a 5-tool shortstop in our system!

Yeah, but he's no Lawler.  😝

Not that it was much of a risk, but Heyman is reporting Holliday has agreed to terms for $8+ mil. I'm really excited about this kid. I think he has a vastly superior swing to Jones' and though he's not as much of an athletic freak as Jones, he's still incredibly athletic (more than Lee and Johnson easily).  I personally wanted Holliday or Johnson so I'm pretty stoked. I think it's very exciting to look at the current ML team and the system and begin to dream big. An infield of Adley, Mountcastle, Vavra/Westburg/Hernaiz, Henderson and Holliday with an OF that is somehow deeper than the IF group. To think that they are finally starting to bring intriguing international prospects stateside and have a new facility on the way, it's hard not to agree with Elias that this the healthiest the org has been in a very long time. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=1998&draft_round=7&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

Dad's draft round...COL gave him $840k in round 7, and it is the only Bonus listed.

1998 - 840k would have been a Top 5 bonus in Round 2, and 10 of 43 Round 1 bonuses were smaller (or guys didn't sign, ala Mark Prior of the NYY).    

So Matt was about 40th bonus...seems he was approximately Coby Mayo.    I'd guess today Brock Porter still aiming for higher than 40th biggest bonus.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Tork got full slot.

And it’s still saving money. The idea shouldn’t be to save as much as you can.  It should be to take the best player you can.  You don’t get bonus points for saving the most money.

Didn't know Tork got slot.  I think he might be the only one though.  Certainly one of a very small number of players to receive full slot from 1:1.

I'm really just making an observation here specific to 1:1.  The O's have spent most of their allotment the past few years and I don't expect that to change.  They probably have an overslot guy or two they are targeting with the  couple hundred K they're saving.  1:1 slot is 8.8 million this year.

Holliday will always be compared to the other high school selections in this draft and it will be interesting to follow their progress together.

Perfect game has Kmotion scores that measure the hitters Signature Sequence. While I'm still trying to learn what all of this means, but apparently the most "efficient swing' is one that goes Pelvis, Torso, Arm and then Hand.

The high speed are considered better.

So let's compare those four: (Pelvis=1,Torso=2,Arm=3,hand=4)

Player       Sequence                     Pelvis   Torso     Arm     Hand (Speeds)   1-2      2-3     3-4 (Speed gains)
Holliday    1-2-3-4                          690.0    985.5    1469.5    1870.5          295.5  484.0 401.0
Jones       1-2-3-4                          593.0    876.0     1228.0    1719.0          283.0  352.0 491.0
Johnson   1-2-3-4                          599.0    915.0     1224.0    2799.0         316.0   309.0 1575.0
Green       1-2-3-4                          611.0    1046.0    1298.0    2152.0         435.0   252.0  854.0

Holliday has the quickest pelvis or "hips" and his torso is second only to Green. He also has the best arm speed but 3rd fastest hands. Termarr Johnson has off the chart hand speed which is why everyone loves his bat.

It will be interesting to see if these numbers mean much as they progress. 

• Upvote 4