What is Your favorite pick? Least favorite pick?

Favorite pick-Wagner

Least favorite Fabian-Would have like the O's to grab one of the college pitchers that dropped.

Off topic, most of picks 11-20 were pitchers.  I assume that Elias is trying to draft a bullpen.  Probably a better use of picks than choosing position players who will be utility players or top out in AA. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Favorite pick-Wagner

Least favorite Fabian-Would have like the O's to grab one of the college pitchers that dropped.

Off topic, most of picks 11-20 were pitchers.  I assume that Elias is trying to draft a bullpen.  Probably a better use of picks than choosing position players who will be utility players or top out in AA. 

I think he's trying to find a bunch of Tyler Wells and Dean Kremers, both of whom were picked in the teen rounds.

Favorites:  Showalter and Beck.  Showalter looks like a HS arm with a good amount of upside.  Beck because he's 7 feet tall and that's fun.

Least favorite:  Ardoin.  Going for a catcher in the 4th round who is apparently isn't great offensively was a head scratcher.  Could have taken Porter there.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Favorites:  Showalter and Beck.  Showalter looks like a HS arm with a good amount of upside.  Beck because he's 7 feet tall and that's fun.

Least favorite:  Ardoin.  Going for a catcher in the 4th round who is apparently isn't great offensively was a head scratcher.  Could have taken Porter there.

Maybe Ardoin is the next Beimboom?  lol

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Honest question. How do you know if/that the Rangers hadn't already reached an agreement with Porter much earlier in the day (or even before the draft), and his agent was telling teams that he wouldn't sign with anyone else, or that Porter was demanding an extremely high amount for a signing bonus to all other teams?

I've seen lots of posters complain about passing on Porter, but how does anyone know if Porter was even available? The Rangers knew very early on that they saved money on Rocker, so they went hard after Porter. Makes complete sense if the Rangers came to an agreement (verbal or otherwise) with Porter up on Day 1 or Day 2 (or pre-draft), and his agent may have informed teams that he was signing with the Rangers, or asking for a higher number than the Rangers were offering - which very few teams, if any, could match.

What if the Rangers drafted Kumar so early because they knew it was possible or likely that they could also sign Porter with the underslot savings? That's another possibility that makes sense. And if that's true or possible, that explains Porter dropping to Day 2 and also explains the Orioles passing on Porter. If that scenario is true - or if it became evident that Porter was signing with the Rangers at any point on Day 1 or Day 2 - then it makes sense for the Orioles not to draft him. So how could anyone criticize the Orioles with any certainty without knowing for sure if Porter was even a possibility to be drafted and signed?

As far as I've seen (and perhaps I missed a report that came out since Porter was drafted), we don't know what the circumstances behind the Rangers drafting Porter were. Until we know those details, I think it's unreasonable to criticize the Orioles for not drafting him, and certainly unreasonable to express frustration at "passing" on him.

I also think it's ironic that you praise the Showalter pick, but express confusion on passing on Porter. If the O's had drafted Porter, they certainly wouldn't have had the pool money left over to draft and sign Showalter.

26 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Honest question. How do you know if/that the Rangers hadn't already reached an agreement with Porter much earlier in the day (or even before the draft), and his agent was telling teams that he wouldn't sign with anyone else, or that Porter was demanding an extremely high amount for a signing bonus to all other teams?

He probably did and probably was.

Doesn't stop a team from picking him.

Just ask Jud.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday vs Jones will be an interesting battle over the next several years.

As usual, I’m more concerned with whether Holliday becomes a very good major league player than if he turns out better or worse than any particular guy.  But I agree it will be interesting to follow.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He probably did and probably was.

Doesn't stop a team from picking him.

Just ask Jud.

Sure. And the Red Sox probably wish they spent the pick on someone else last year.

So why should the O's waste a pick on a player who most likely won't sign? Or why should they use most of their pool money on Porter if they preferred spreading the same amount of money across multiple players that they liked? The criticisms of posters here for not drafting Porter are unreasonable, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

Sure. And the Red Sox probably wish they spent the pick on someone else last year.

So why should the O's waste a pick on a player who most likely won't sign? Or why should they use most of their pool money on Porter if they preferred spreading the same amount of money across multiple players that they liked? The criticisms of posters here for not drafting Porter are unreasonable, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have done it, and I expect it would have cost more than the O's are going to spend on this draft.

But it would have been a bold move and I can see why some folks would have wanted to go in that direction.

25 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Chances are they knew Porter's number pre-draft and proceeded as if they would be able to get both Porter and Kumar if Porter fell past a certain spot.

Porter, for his part, likely knew the Rangers plans and agreed to put out a number of something like $4m or more (agreed to $3.8 with Rangers). If he got that higher number, great.

And Porter probably exchanged numbers with most teams and was told they wouldn't go that high, giving him and the Rangers some certainty that nobody else would beat their offer.

The rest of the teams didn't just ignore Porter. His number was just too high for them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Chances are they knew Porter's number pre-draft and proceeded as if they would be able to get both Porter and Kumar if Porter fell past a certain spot.

Porter, for his part, likely knew the Rangers plans and agreed to put out a number of something like $4m or more (agreed to $3.8 with Rangers). If he got that higher number, great.

And Porter probably exchanged numbers with most teams and was told they wouldn't go that high, giving him and the Rangers some certainty that nobody else would beat their offer.

The rest of the teams didn't just ignore Porter. His number was just too high for them.

Exactly. So if the number was too high for the Orioles, and the Orioles believed their money was better spent across multiple picks, then I think it's unreasonable for posters to be criticizing the team for not drafting Porter. I think a lot of posters don't quite understand exactly how the pool allocation works. Or some think that spending $3.5 million+ on Porter was feasible. It wasn't.