Three minor leaguers that Elias may try to move at the deadline

wildcard

Martin, Bannon and Diaz.

These three players have some things in common.  They are all on the major league  40 man roster.  None of them are likely to be protected from the Rule 5 draft which means they will be DFA'd after the season if not moved.   They all have been passed in the O's system by younger, better players.

I anticipate that SG response will be that they are no good and have no trade value. That may be true but I think each would be claimed if put on waivers so I think Elias will try to get an Dominican League or Complex League player for them.

Richie Martin (27) has a 367 OBP at AAA and has stolen 17 bases in 20 tries.   His defense at SS is above average and he can play 2B.  He could be a utility infielder for a major league team right now.  Gunnar, Westburg and Vavra have passed him.

Rylan Bannon (26) combines power and OBP.   He has 11 homers, 53 RBIs (which is 8th in AAA) and a 343 OBP.  Urias, Gunnar and Westburg have passed him.

Yusneil Diaz (25)  is currently healthy.  He has power and a right fielder's arm but has not reached his potential.  Stowers has passed him.

I think Elias would  shop any of these three for anyone the would stock the lower minors.

• Upvote 1

I still would like to see what Díaz and Martin can do. Martin because of his hitting at AAA and his adjustments made. I would prefer us trade Mateo for his defensive value to a contender and see what Martin can do. Díaz I would like to see him get a shot at some point, should he ever stay healthy and get some continuity. 

13 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I still would like to see what Díaz and Martin can do. Martin because of his hitting at AAA and his adjustments made. I would prefer us trade Mateo for his defensive value to a contender and see what Martin can do. Díaz I would like to see him get a shot at some point, should he ever stay healthy and get some continuity. 

I think Martin should replace Arauz right now. I think he should try to get reps in the OF too and take on a bigger utility role. I think if/when Santander is traded, Diaz should get a quick look before Stowers.  He's the type of prospect that, although injured, is talanted enough and been around long enough to be thrown into MLB action and given a shot at this point.  He might just catch fire with consistent at bats and the ability to stay healthy.  Need to get a good look at Diaz before heading into the offseason and deciding how to move forward with all the OFs in the system. If Mancini is traded, Stowers can come up too and get his AB at OF/DH.

I feel like Bannon is a poor man's Brandon Inge, probably a AAAA guy at this point.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Martin should replace Arauz right now. I think he should try to get reps in the OF too and take on a bigger utility role. I think if/when Santander is traded, Diaz should get a quick look before Stowers.  He's the type of prospect that, although injured, is talanted enough and been around long enough to be thrown into MLB action and given a shot at this point.  He might just catch fire with consistent at bats and the ability to stay healthy.  Need to get a good look at Diaz before heading into the offseason and deciding how to move forward with all the OFs in the system. If Mancini is traded, Stowers can come up too and get his AB at OF/DH.

I feel like Bannon is a poor man's Brandon Inge, probably a AAAA guy at this point.

My guess is that Vavra will take Arauz spot on the 26 man roster.   Urias will backup SS and Nevin will backup 3B.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They have no value.  

I mean, I think you're both probably right.  Elias may try to move them, and they have no (or at least very little) value.  I think it's pretty irrelevant but he may try to get some low level DSL prospect or something like that for them.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sorry Bannon didn’t get more of a look.  He’s better than Nevin, I think.  

I think Nevin has a better chance of sticking with the O's over the winter because Mancini will probably go and Nevin is the backup at 1B.   Bannon is pretty far down the list of 2B/3B behind Urias, Westburg, Gunnar, Vavra, Mateo. Yes Mateo can play 2B.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Nevin has a better chance of sticking with the O's over the winter because Mancini will probably go and Nevin is the backup at 1B.   Bannon is pretty far down the list of 2B/3B behind Urias, Westburg, Gunnar, Vavra, Mateo. Yes Mateo can play 2B.

Nevin isn’t major league quality.   There’s probably 100 options out there better than him.  He’s a .565 OPS poor defensive corner IF/LF.   I have no desire to retain him over the winter.   

• Upvote 1

In terms of value, I’d rank them Diaz, Martin, Bannon.

I think Diaz and Martin could be included in a deal to slightly sweeten the return. Bannon not so much.

Alone, you’re looking at something between “cash considerations” and some poor performing metric guy that we think we can maybe fix.