Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

Here are two of ESPN national writer's spitballs for Josh Bell this morning.    Outside of Buck maybe goosing a NYM bid, I'd tend to think most Clubs thinking about Mancini are also thinking about Bell.

Doolittle: Bell also makes a lot of sense for the Astros, but I'm trying to spread things around, so I'm sending him to the Cleveland Guardians. Any team acquiring Bell has to go in with its eyes open, knowing it is more likely to get the player Bell is likely to be going forward than the player who had an All-Star-level first half.

For Cleveland, Bell is an upgrade at first base in either scenario, and the Guardians would not have any trouble in meeting Washington's asking price. And if Bell is actually able to replicate his first-half production, that could be enough to get the Guardians over the top in what figures to be tight races for the AL Central title and/or the sixth playoff slot in the AL.

Schoenfield: I'm not against the San Diego Padres going for Soto, who might prove to be too irresistible for Preller -- no matter the cost. What I'm saying: Don't stop at Soto. The Padres are 18th in the majors in OPS at first base, but that includes Eric Hosmer's torrid April, which was completely out of line from all his other months the past two seasons. Since the beginning of May, they're 26th in OPS at first base. They're also just 16th in OPS from their DHs, with a collective .231/.318/.379 line that leaves plenty of room for improvement. Bell can slot in at either position and suddenly a 2-3-4 of Soto, Fernando Tatis Jr. and Bell looks like a championship middle of the order.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

His quote suggested a deal has been made. 

I think he got one right and enjoyed the limelight.  Not sure if he had actual inside information but I suspect he just reads message boards and mlbtraderumors and just uses that as his inside sources.  I caught him in some fibs.  I don't think he's legit.

Trading Mancini takes his $3 million off the books the rest of the year. Trading Lopez takes his salary($4mill???) off the books for next season. 

We also have come out and said we want controllable SP. Pre-Arb and Arb???

If the deal with the Mets happens, I will salary had something to do with it. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Trading Mancini takes his $3 million off the books the rest of the year. Trading Lopez takes his salary($4mill???) off the books for next season. 

We also have come out and said we want controllable SP. Pre-Arb and Arb???

If the deal with the Mets happens, I will salary had something to do with it. 

I don’t think payroll is much of an issue right now.   It’s nice that payroll is low so that there’s lots of room to move up in the future, but to real need to cut it now.

• Upvote 1

Disappointing to hear the Mets trade very likely won’t happen. I liked the idea of getting Peterson back. Stacking the rotation with LHP seems like a smart move…RHH will have trouble with the new dimensions and LHP limit the damage from the rest. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Not sure how the Mets acquisition of Tyler Naquin will affect a trade for Mancini?

I wouldn't think it would affect it too much. I'd imagine most teams would want Trey as 1B/DH mostly, with an occasional OF game. 

3 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Didn't they also just get Vogelbach for 1B/DH?

I forgot about Vogelbach, I think he would affect Trey more than Naquin.

Trey is an upgrade to both, but not sure the Mets would still be interested.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I forgot about Vogelbach, I think he would affect Trey more than Naquin.

Trey is an upgrade to both, but not sure the Mets would still be interested.

Vogelbach is putrid against LHP so there's that.

I can't help but think about the recent draft when I look at all of the smoke flying on twitter about what "sources" are saying the Orioles are going to trade.  Elias has a pretty strong track record of keeping things tight to the vest.  Wouldn't surprise me if we make a trade that no one saw coming.  

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Vogelbach is putrid against LHP so there's that.

Naquin is a lefty that's not great against LHP either, but it was noted they were looking for lefty hitters earlier so who knows. There is (potentially) still a spot for Mancini, but unsure it's a significant enough one for the Mets to offer enough to make us pull the trigger. 

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I know Sirloin didn't have the best record around here, but it doesn't mean his rumor has to be "phony". Isn't it possible the Mets had a couple of irons in the fire with different teams?

The mods here including Weams knew him to be illegitimate. I’m not sure why he was allowed to post his spooge on the site. But, it’s not my business regardless of their reason.