Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

7 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Perez, Baker, Tate 

Perez is in his same role. Baker is inconsistent.  Tate is hurt. Elias knew about Tate’s injury when there were still several relievers available in FA. 

Here’s how much the bullpen is really a mess… everyone is saying we should be 4-2 because of the McKenna drop, but why not 5-1?  We’re just supposed to dismiss games where we’re tied up after 5?  Low expectations tell you how bad the pen really is. 

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I read your post as referring to last year after Lopez left.

Honestly, it’s the same hole that trading Lopez left. We were a reliever short last year. Khriebel crashed and burned at the end. So Elias decided to bring in Givens. Givens is hurt and missed a lot of time last year too. 

Elias has never had to make a trade out of a desperate need. Maybe you could argue Irvin. He’s gotta do something here. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, it’s the same hole that trading Lopez left. We were a reliever short last year. Khriebel crashed and burned at the end. So Elias decided to bring in Givens. Givens is hurt and missed a lot of time last year too. 

Elias has never had to make a trade out of a desperate need. Maybe you could argue Irvin. He’s gotta do something here. 

It might just be Wells to the pen when Bradish comes back. 

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias wasn't interested in competing for a playoff spot last season because in that instance he holds onto Lopez and trades for additional pitchers and possibly a bat. I can understand that last year as Elias was still building for the future, but it would have been cool to make the playoffs.

This year, I think it has to change where Elias is looking to make moves to contend for the playoffs. Package some of that young talent for a starting pitching, elite bullpen arm or a plus bat at one of DH/1B/OF.

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias wasn't interested in competing for a playoff spot last season because in that instance he holds onto Lopez and trades for additional pitchers and possibly a bat. I can understand that last year as Elias was still building for the future, but it would have been cool to make the playoffs.

This year, I think it has to change where Elias is looking to make moves to contend for the playoffs. Package some of that young talent for a starting pitching, elite bullpen arm or a plus bat at one of DH/1B/OF.

This is my point. We had an elite bullpen arm. The type that is needed to win. The type that teams that want to win don’t trade away with 2.3 years of control left. 

It’s already cost us more in salary to try and plug the Lopez hole with Givens. Now it’s going to cost us young talent to. If we survive this mess to be in a position to buy. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is my point. We had an elite bullpen arm. The type that is needed to win. The type that teams that want to win don’t trade away with 2.3 years of control left. 

It’s already cost us more in salary to try and plug the Lopez hole with Givens. Now it’s going to cost us young talent to. If we survive this mess to be in a position to buy. 

I agree too and I would have never traded Lopez, but I think Elias was still in talent acquisition mode. Elias was thinking if he can get two decent players for Lopez they both have their full service time left instead of an elite bullpen arm with only 2 to 3 seasons of service time remaining.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elite bullpen arm?  Seriously?  In 7 major league seasons he has a .5 WAR.  In the second half of last season hitters averaged a .329 BAbip and a .383 OBP.  He had a sOPS+ of 113. 100 is league average - below 100 is better than average, so in the second half of last season has was a below average reliever.  On what planet is that an elite bullpen arm???   

The reality is he was a very effective reliever for exactly 1/2 a season out of 7 major league seasons.  Now, after 2.2 innings, you're ready to crown him the second coming of Mariano Rivera.  Does the concept of small sample size mean anything at all to you?    

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Elite bullpen arm?  Seriously?  In 7 major league seasons he has a .5 WAR.  In the second half of last season hitters averaged a .329 BAbip and a .383 OBP.  He had a sOPS+ of 113. 100 is league average - below 100 is better than average, so in the second half of last season has was a below average reliever.  On what planet is that an elite bullpen arm???   

The reality is he was a very effective reliever for exactly 1/2 a season out of 7 major league seasons.  Now, after 2.2 innings, you're ready to crown him the second coming of Mariano Rivera.  Does the concept of small sample size mean anything at all to you?    

Why do people keep bringing up how Lopez was in his whole career when his role was completely different last year?

It’s a completely different discussion. 

When talking about Lopez, the talk should be strictly about his ability to be a high end, high leverage reliever and whether or not he can be that going forward?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Perez is in his same role. Baker is inconsistent.  Tate is hurt. Elias knew about Tate’s injury when there were still several relievers available in FA. 

Here’s how much the bullpen is really a mess… everyone is saying we should be 4-2 because of the McKenna drop, but why not 5-1?  We’re just supposed to dismiss games where we’re tied up after 5?  Low expectations tell you how bad the pen really is. 

It’s game 6.  Too early to extrapolate anything.  I do know this: if a game is tied after 5, and we don’t score any more runs, we eventually are going to lose.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s game 6.  Too early to extrapolate anything.  I do know this: if a game is tied after 5, and we don’t score any more runs, we eventually are going to lose.  

Yes I agree. But we’ve seen how when you trot out a big time bullpen against the other team, you sort of steal momentum even in a tie game. We did it with Givens, Brach, O’day, and Britton for years. We had that magic last year with Bautista, Perez, and Lopez. Baseball players are humans. They have to be thinking crap we’re about to be facing these guys the next 9-10 outs. Now teams get to look at whatever we throw out there before Perez and Bautista. 

The fix was probably Tyler Wells but that dude is such a tough bulldog that he just keeps pitching his way into the rotation. 

Jorge Lopez ain’t walking back through that door. So it’s probably going to be a good ole fashioned Reagan trickle down effect from the rotation. If Grayson can hold a spot down and Bradish can come back, then we can put Tyler Wells in the MR/SU hole. Then pull the trigger on DL Hall. That would give us some juice.