Odor isn't going anywhere

accinfo

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hyde said after the game that be really likes Odor’s defense (especially on the DP) and his combativeness. The defensive stats don’t show him to be that good but he does turn the DP extremely well and has a strong arm.  And you can’t question the combativeness.   The guy may screw up but he keeps fighting and doesn’t hang his head.  And that has rubbed off on the younger guys.  I’d be very surprised if Odor is brought back next year but I agree that it’s unlikely he’s going to be cut at any point this year.   At most he might lose some playing time down the stretch if the O’s bring up another infielder and send down Nevin.  

My hope is that his role is diminished but his presence remains larger than life and that he has some random playoff highlight to cement him in Orioles folklore.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

Yes he is hitting below 200 but he just does enough for the manager to write his name in this lineup.  It is obvious Hyde loves his clubhouse presence.  Again as long as they keep winning, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  

....nevermind, I promised after he hit the homerun I wouldn't speak bad about him until at least Friday, so I had to delete my comment.  🙂  Just let me say I disagree 100%, even with the homerun he hit tonight.  

“For me, the reason why our record is what it is … it's not because we're outscoring people,” Hyde said. “It's because of what we've done as a team defense situation, and Roogie has been a big part of that. …

“Roogie has come up with some big hits for us, and I love the attitude he brings. I feel like he brings some toughness to us, I think he brings some edge, I love what he's like in the dugout and attitude-wise, and he comes ready to play. I think it's rubbed off on others this year.”

Odor certainly has been valued -- the first name that his teammates offer up when asked why the clubhouse culture has been so vibrant, so cohesive this season.

But if you ask him, that focus should be external.

“I mean, you look around, there's a lot of good players on this team,” Odor said. “Like, a lot of young guys that not many people know, but it's a lot of good talent on this team. We play together like that and we have fun. And when we have fun, a lot of good things happen.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/rougned-odor-hits-go-ahead-two-run-homer-vs-blue-jays

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He’s not good.  He hit the big homer last night but had some other awful plays that really hurt the team.  

You can keep him on the team but he shouldn’t be playing over a guys like Stowers and Henderson.

He got the big hit last night after creating the need for a big hit.

• Upvote 2

The O's turn a lot of double plays and Odor is always right in the middle of it.  Hyde obviously thinks something will be lost defensively that outweighs any improvement on offense with Odor out of the lineup. 

I disagree, but yea at this point we just need to accept that Odor is going to be a fixture in the lineup for the rest of the season and the playoffs if we manage to get there.