The Orioles have found their announcing team on TV/Radio

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Newman is boring and monotone. I’m ok with her doing the studio crap but can’t listen when she’s on. 

I like Brown and McDonald ….except the Roughy this and Roughy that that McDonald was doing yesterday before the rain delay. Are they being told to pump his contribution. Defensively he’s a competent 2B but I don’t think he’s elite.

McDonald admitted last night that there are times when Odor makes fans want to give up on him but that he keeps drawing them back in. So it sounded like he was being honest and not trying to just sugar-coat him.

• Upvote 1

I was just thinking about this last night and how many people on here have said they really liking Brown and Ben this year compared to the pass.  Which I agree they seem to be better this season but maybe the turn around and people being happier about them is mainly from how we feel about the team.  The last few years have been brutal at times and it is hard to stay positive and enjoy the game if your getting your brains beat in every game.  When your in a bad mood from how the team is playing I am sure it affects how you feel about the guys announcing and those same type cliches get to you a lot quicker compared to if your enjoying the game and in better mood.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bpilktree said:

I was just thinking about this last night and how many people on here have said they really liking Brown and Ben this year compared to the pass.  Which I agree they seem to be better this season but maybe the turn around and people being happier about them is mainly from how we feel about the team.  The last few years have been brutal at times and it is hard to stay positive and enjoy the game if your getting your brains beat in every game.  When your in a bad mood from how the team is playing I am sure it affects how you feel about the guys announcing and those same type cliches get to you a lot quicker compared to if your enjoying the game and in better mood.

I also think having a good, interesting product generally begets better insight from commentators. When the team is garbage, they basically just have to put lipstick on a pig. 

• Upvote 2

I think Kevin Brown has made great strides as their PBP guy. Yes, he still has a bit of overly enthusiastic “puppy” in him at times, but he has all the right enthusiasm, knowledge and demeanor to make a great voice of the team. I also hope they lock him up to a long-term contract. If not, he will surely be poached. 

I can understand Tony’s point about Palmer. I think it should be a slow transition, but I do feel over the next three years or so he should reduce his workload and turn the reins over to someone younger. Then when he’s there, it’s a welcome surprise. And Ben could very well be that guy. I like Ben a lot, and if anyone saw the game they thrust on us in Peacock, I actually thought he paired very well with Marc Gubicza and Jason Benetti. I am still annoyed they jettisoned Brian Roberts so quickly, though, as I thought he also showed a lot of promise. 

As for Newman, Garceau or Arnold in the TV booth, they can each hold their own to varying degrees, but only in absolute emergencies, please.

• Upvote 1

Glad people are coming around on Geoff and Brett, I think they’re both fantastic in a way you can only be on radio. They’re pretty goofy and have fun together but balance it out well. They both have a knack for adding excitement and Brett is clearly in his dream job which is fun to listen to.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Agree w/ Tony, time to make these pairings permanent. Palmer subs when Ben is doing college baseball. I am fine w/ Newman pre-/post and in game. Rob Long is tolerable. Scott Garceau needs a permanent retirement and do not let Newman do play by play.

Gary Thorne was on Glenn Clark's show last week and he said he lives in Arizona but occaisonally fills in on Mets broadcasts. Why not have him do the same when Brown is unavailable?

That is a great idea and I would love to hear Thorne this year filling to announce Orioles games. 

With Garceau, I remember hearing that he didn't like the station management at 105.7 The Fan and that's the primary reason he made the switch to doing Orioles play-by-play on MASN/radio. Garceau is a nice guy, but he should be limited to hosting pre and post game at this point in his career. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hollander has become very good as well and works well being the Manfra to Arnold's Angel. Brett has gotten better at his play by play calls and although he'll occasionally under describe the action leaving us for a few seconds to wonder where the ball went, he's good at making sure the call comes across as the crowd is reacting, not behind the crowd reaction. He works very well with Arnold and together they are very good radio team.

I liked Manfra, but he was good for this, especially on the deep fly ball. It would drive me crazy. I really do miss him and Angel though.  Jon Miller was another one I loved listening to on the radio growing up.  I will say that I have started listening to the radio broadcast again this year and its pretty solid.

I love Big Ben as I'm a pitching guy. I am always fascinated and await Palmer's memoirs. That kind of insight isn't going to be around much longer.

I’ve enjoyed Kevin and Ben for the past two seasons, and thought they did a good job of entertaining when the product was not so entertaining last year. Tony highlighted Ben’s incites into pitch sequencing and reading bats, and the good job Kevin does teeing him up, but I’ve also been impressed with Ben discussing when he would sit on a certain pitch as a batter or when he says he’s fine with a whiff because of the pitch type/location, count, etc. They’re definitely my favorite current duo and I think they’re as good as Thorne and Palmer or Proctor and Lowenstein (who I really enjoyed as a kid).

• Upvote 1

The rebuild was a great time.tongibe some.opportunities to new talent. Brown is like the Mateo of the play by play position. McDonald established himself as having a strong role as well. I hope we keep Palmer as.long as possible, more like Mullins or Means than Mancini. We've got a good core going forward.

I agree with Tony's assessment. But just one thing: Melanie Newman. He doesn't give his opinion on her PBP.  C'mon man!! She is el stinko at PBP but very good at hosting.  Love Palmer and McDonald. Ever listen to other teams' color guys? Most are just awful. We are lucky to have Jim and Ben. Arnold is good. I gotta admit that I kinda like Scottie. Sure he goofs up a lot but, ya know, he's like an old friend with flaws but you choose to overlook them. BTW, Roy Firestone interviewed Kevin Brown recently. Good stuff.