DL Hall to be optioned to AAA and turned into a reliever for the rest of season?

Gurgi

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't care about the reliever stuff. Ultimately he doesn't have enough inning left this season to start for the rest of the way, so whether they move him into a relief role or an opener role doesn't matter to me, hopefully he will come in with clean innings regardless.

The dumb part is optioning him to do it. They already didn't give him the best chance to succeed today by not starting Adley at catcher and now they are going to burn some of his available innings at Norfolk and perhaps shake his confidence by sending him down quickly? Seems dumb and counter productive. He needs to figure things out here.

Hopefully this plan was laid out to Hall before today.

Bringing him up was a poor decision. 

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Bringing him up was a poor decision. 

My initial guess was that someone in the rotation has a nagging injury and they wanted to kick the rotation back a couple days, but that wouldn't make sense with Watkins back-filling multiple innings today, he basically pitched in his normal turn. I'm just kinda lost on the decision making process. 

3 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

My initial guess was that someone in the rotation has a nagging injury and they wanted to kick the rotation back a couple days, but that wouldn't make sense with Watkins back-filling multiple innings today, he basically pitched in his normal turn. I'm just kinda lost on the decision making process. 

I think Elias wanted to use him for the stretch drive one way or another.  So before getting Hall to buy into relieving he wanted to see if perhaps Hall could help us starting.   Now we have our answer.  No he is not going to help starting.   

Just now, Gurgi said:

I think Elias wanted to use him for the stretch drive one way or another.  So before getting Hall to buy into relieving he wanted to see if perhaps Hall could help us starting.   Now we have our answer.  No he is not going to help starting.   

Right because one start is all the data needed for an informed decision.

I'm going with this was the plan regardless of how Hall did.  (He wasn't going to go out and throw 6IP 0 ER 1BB 12K 1H)

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right because one start is all the data needed for an informed decision.

I'm going with this was the plan regardless of how Hall did.  (He wasn't going to go out and throw 6IP 0 ER 1BB 12K 1H)

I know you are being a smart ass by saying one start. But, he was the same guy today that he’s been recently at AAA.

I agree it was the plan all along ….just a stupid one considering he’s been pitching so poorly. It’s fine to be excited about the flashes we saw in the 3K inning. But, he needs to learn some control.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I know you are being a smart ass by saying one start. But, he was the same guy today that he’s been recently at AAA.

I agree it was the plan all along ….just a stupid one considering he’s been pitching so poorly. It’s fine to be excited about the flashes we saw in the 3K inning. But, he needs to learn some control.

I was responding to what I though was an incorrect statement.

No one found out anything based off of this one start.

He did pretty much what we thought he would do.

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:
3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Funny we want DL Hall to be a big K high leverage reliever for the pennant run when we had Lopez who had big K's and was a proven reliever.  

Love me some Elias and I get the need for starting pitching prospects but still.......

Lopez had less than 70 innings in relief with the Orioles over parts of three years, and his career WAR going into this season was -1.3. Nothing with him is certain or proven. It’s like saying Ty Wigginton was a proven All-Star. 

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Funny we want DL Hall to be a big K high leverage reliever for the pennant run when we had Lopez who had big K's and was a proven reliever.  

Love me some Elias and I get the need for starting pitching prospects but still.......

Well, if you want to get technical, Jorge Lopez has thrown a grand total of 4 innings for Minnesota and DL Hall tossed 3 2/3 today, so they’ve been almost identical in total usage.

I am just not sure why there was such a rushing pressure to bring him up at all.  He has not been pitching at a ML quality level at Norfolk. 
But Ok.. he “got his feet wet”..yippee!  Now if he comes back up then he should be in low leverage situations till he shows different. 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am just not sure why there was such a rushing pressure to bring him up at all.  He has not been pitching at a ML quality level at Norfolk. 
But Ok.. he “got his feet wet”..yippee!  Now if he comes back up then he should be in low leverage situations till he shows different. 

I think Elias decided that he wanted to give Hall some exposure to MLB this year.  I dont think Elias really expects the Orioles to get a playoff spot and even if we do he doesnt expect us to go very far.  I think Elias thinks Hall could be a valuable arm for the next half decade for the Orioles and wants him to get some playoff drive experience.  Thus explaining his odd call up and now his relief role assignment.   

Edited by Gurgi