Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

9 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Nevin being the only real backup 1B has kept him alive, IMO. We need someone, like Santander or Urias, to be adequate as an occasional 1B back-up. Almost anyone should be able to do it just tough mid-season. But what do I know. Maybe it is Gunnar and definitely why they tried him over there.

We could see Rutschman at 1B. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it. I'm curious where Hyde will bat Henderson initially. He seems destined for #3, but not sure how well he has to do before they put a 21 year old in the heart of the order in the heat of a pennant race. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

What is going to be Henderson’s prime spot in the future? SS? 3B?

I think primarily 3B. With Mateo, Ortiz (though I think he'll be 2B with Mateo here) and Jackson Holliday. Though, wouldn't be surprised if he gets rotated all around the infield with majority of starts at 3B.

4 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Scouts say he is a solid SS but could be a perennial GG at 3B.  I think 3B will be his spot with Mateo holding down SS until hopefully Holiday takes over there

13 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

What about Westburg and Ortiz?

Some prospects will have to be traded. This is what good/great orgs look like. Having excess talent to trade to add to the ball club as we pursue a World Series or hopefully in our case with all the assets we have, multiple World Series.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I'm expecting Henderson to wind up at third base similarly to Manny. I think Mateo sticks at shortstop as long as he keeps up his hitting and defense until Jackson is ready.

I have to think that the Ortiz promotion to Norfolk (well deserved, by the way) means that Gunnar is being promoted tomorrow.   I’ve been wrong about the timing of promotions a bunch of times, but this one makes all the sense in the world with both Baltimore and Norfolk having off days today, the cutoff for playoff rosters approaching Wednesday and now Ortiz crowding the Norfolk roster.  Bring him on!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have to think that the Ortiz promotion to Norfolk (well deserved, by the way) means that Gunnar is being promoted tomorrow.   I’ve been wrong about the timing of promotions a bunch of times, but this one makes all the sense in the world with both Baltimore and Norfolk having off days today, the cutoff for playoff rosters approaching Wednesday and now Ortiz crowding the Norfolk roster.  Bring him on!

Makes perfect sense to me. Let's hope you're right!

I'm really surprised he hasn't been called up yet, and I'll be extremely disappointed if they bring him up after the deadline for playoff roster eligibility. He fills an urgent need for the team, and I think he'd be an upgrade over both Odor and Urias both offensively and defensively.

Not only does Gunnar make the team better, but he fills a need immediately in a pivotal series against the Guardians, who have great starting pitchers.

Hoping we hear an announcement in the next hour or two, or tomorrow. If not, it'll be one of the most disappointing decisions in my book since Buck went with Ubaldo against Toronto in the 2016 playoffs.