Doubleheader Monday Who Starts?

accinfo

If the Jays had a lot of left-handed hitters in their lineup, the Orioles might want to go with Zimmermann.

But looking at the Toronto roster, the only lefty hitters I see are Tapia, Biggio, and Bradley Jr.  Bradley doesn't play much, and Biggio's in a slump.

So I'm inclined to agree with you that Harvey (who is 7-1 with the Tides) seems like the more likely choice.

Not being on the 40-man might be a minor strike against Harvey. And Zimmermann has been a bit better in AAA than Harvey this year. But yeah Zimmermann against the Jays righty onslaught doesn't sound great. 

Depending on how the prior games go, I won't be surprised if they just bullpen game it with some AAA to MLB reliever swaps immediately after the game. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Not being on the 40-man might be a minor strike against Harvey. And Zimmermann has been a bit better in AAA than Harvey this year. But yeah Zimmermann against the Jays righty onslaught doesn't sound great. 

Depending on how the prior games go, I won't be surprised if they just bullpen game it with some AAA to MLB reliever swaps immediately after the game. 

Yea you could be right but I kind of like giving a guy like Matt Harvey a shot to win a BIG game in a pennant race.  A guy looking for a little redemption in the eyes of his colleagues.  

38 minutes ago, WillyM said:

If the Jays had a lot of left-handed hitters in their lineup, the Orioles might want to go with Zimmermann.

But looking at the Toronto roster, the only lefty hitters I see are Tapia, Biggio, and Bradley Jr.  Bradley doesn't play much, and Biggio's in a slump.

So I'm inclined to agree with you that Harvey (who is 7-1 with the Tides) seems like the more likely choice.

Harvey is an interesting proposition. That 7-1, however, is not his Tides record. With Norfolk, he's 5-1 (Good) with 2 complete games (Good), but also a 4.84 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, and 14 homers-against in only 48.33 innings. So I don't know....

Isn't Hall a strong possibility?

Also, if the O's take care of business against Oakland, that DH against Toronto is going to be intense due to the playoff implications. One of the most important days of the season.

Given the quality of opponents and position in the standings, the O's have basically been playing playoff baseball for a month now. Every game is critical. If the O's do make the playoffs they will have played like 50 games against playoff caliber opponents leading up to the playoffs. Quite a stretch.

Obviously we go all out and try and win game 1. Then I’m thinking we have two options,

1. Call up Harvey and keep him on a very short leash. I’m talking you have someone warming up behind him on the first pitch. 

2. A Bullpen game if the pen isn’t taxed after the first game. Something like…

1st Inning - Baker

2-3 Hall

4 Khriebel

5-6 Akin, Tate

7-9 Perez, Bautista

However, I’m assuming we win game 1 and will need 2-3 of those pitchers in game 1. 

17 hours ago, accinfo said:

Is Mike Baumann now in the running to start one of the double header games on Monday now?  6 strong innings tonight.  I think he has the best stuff of the choices of Harvey, Zimmerman and Buamann.  

Baumann threw a great game, is on the 40 man roster, and his next turn is on Monday.

• Upvote 3