Voth/Watkins/Kremer

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Verlander’s post-season record is pretty abysmal.  I say a strong pass on him.

3.43 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, 3.4 K/BB is “pretty abysmal?”  I wouldn’t base my decision on postseason record in any event, but those numbers certainly wouldn’t dissuade me from signing him in the slightest.  

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He does if he can string together more starts like the last one.   One thing that might work against him, is that he has the most relieverish profile out of all of them.    When I watch the other three, I think "pitching".   When I watch Bradish I think "throwing".   But sometimes he looks really good.   The St. Louis game in his second start and this last start against Houston.

Well—— there you go

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

3.43 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, 3.4 K/BB is “pretty abysmal?”  I wouldn’t base my decision on postseason record in any event, but those numbers certainly wouldn’t dissuade me from signing him in the slightest.  

Verlander's been in 19 post-season series and in nearly half of them (nine) his ERA was over 4.00 . The overall 14-11 record indicates something less than ace status. On the other hand, five of the nine 4.00+ series were consecutive ones between the ages of 23 and 28 (2006-2011).

He's improved since then, though not consistently: he's 3-6 over the last six series, with ERAs all at 3.38 or above, sometimes way above. For example, it was 5.73 in the last one, the 2019 WS vs. the Nats, in which during 11 innings he gave up 6 BBs, 12 hits, and 7 earned runs and lost both starts.

Edited by LA2

Watkins has, by far, the worst stuff of the 3. I also think he's been the luckiest to generate the numbers he has. For me, Bradish has a higher ceiling than that group of 3, although I think Voth might turn out to be the most consistent of the bunch.

If/when Wells comes back, Watkins is the guy who should be bumped. Maybe go to a 6-man rotation for a week or two if GrayRod can pitch for the O's and make a start or two.

Not sure how I'm feeling on Watkins at the moment. Palmer said it best on the broadcast today. He doesn't have good stuff and he depends on pinpoint location.

I worry that he's coming back to Earth, and it could be quickly. Did I hear correctly that Matt Harvey is being called up for the doubleheader? I guess he can't be put on the playoff roster, but I'm being interested to see if he doesn't end up starting a few games down the stretch. If we did go to the playoffs, I guess we wouldn't really need him as a starter anyway.

When Tyler Wells comes back I think he should start, not even consider bringing up Grayson Rodriguez for a few starts. Starters have been good, but Watkins especially as one that I've been expecting to regress a bit.

The other question mark to me would be Voth who seems to be either close to turning another corner or he's already hit his ceiling, I can't tell yet, but I feel his next start will be pretty telling. Zimmerman could be an option too if we need to bump Watkins 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, wildcard said:

Next year I think Grayson is a lock in the rotation. Because of innings limits of many of the O's starters I think Lyles will be worth the 11m to pick up his option if he continues to pitch well the rest of the season.   Wells, Kremer, Voth and Bradish  all should have good chances of making the rotation.  Means should help the rotation in the 2nd half.   Watkins is more a three inning reliever.  Hall is a wild card.

That is nine deep.   Just about where the O's want to be.

I agree with some others that the O's shouldn't pick up Lyles' option, and I agree that Watkins should be ticketed for long relief.   But that still leaves us with Wells, Kremer, Voth, Bradish and GrayRod in next season's rotation to start the season, with John Means coming back at some point, and DL Hall and maybe Cade Povich waiting in the wings.   This is why I'm not convinced that the O's need to spend big on a free agent starter.  The starting pitching has been more than good enough to contend this season.  We could use some more depth in the bullpen and we could use a proven veteran power hitter.  

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Did I hear correctly that Matt Harvey is being called up for the doubleheader? I guess he can't be put on the playoff roster, but I'm being interested to see if he doesn't end up starting a few games down the stretch. If we did go to the playoffs, I guess we wouldn't really need him as a starter anyway.

When Tyler Wells comes back I think he should start, not even consider bringing up Grayson Rodriguez for a few starts. Starters have been good, but Watkins especially as one that I've been expecting to regress a bit.

Michael Baumann is starting one of the double header games tomorrow.  I disagree about Grayson, if he is healthy and stretched out if they believe he is one of their best starter then he should be in the big leagues.  I think they want to limit Tyler Wells total innings anyway so working in the bullpen for the rest of year makes sense. 

11 hours ago, accinfo said:

Michael Baumann is starting one of the double header games tomorrow.  I disagree about Grayson, if he is healthy and stretched out if they believe he is one of their best starter then he should be in the big leagues.  I think they want to limit Tyler Wells total innings anyway so working in the bullpen for the rest of year makes sense. 

I did mishear. Sorry. I wonder why not Harvey. 

I used to want Grayson up bad, but I started thinking about the whole ROY=extra draft picks. He's going to be on a strict pitch limit in his rehab, and I don't know if Elias wants to put him in a high leverage position on the MLB squad where he gets away from whatever rehab plan they have for him.

53 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I did mishear. Sorry. I wonder why not Harvey. 

I used to want Grayson up bad, but I started thinking about the whole ROY=extra draft picks. He's going to be on a strict pitch limit in his rehab, and I don't know if Elias wants to put him in a high leverage position on the MLB squad where he gets away from whatever rehab plan they have for him.

Because Baumann has been dominant his last 2 starts.