After Historic 2022 - Should The O's Play Prospects Next Year or Acquire Players Who Will "Block" Them?

MCO'sFan

To me ME's to do list starts with pitching. Does Mullins get Lopez from Miami? if so do it and then backfill with Kiermeier. Coming off a subpar year at 32 with offseason surgery, maybe $8M for 1 year. Depends on if you believe Cowser can do CF or if you believe in Fabian, maybe go 2 years-$16M. Then look for another trade like EdRod from Detroit, 4 years left at $15M, strained relationship in Det. The TOR added to the staff is Grayson. You have Wells, Bradish, Kremer with several others behind them. Means comes back mid-year so a Lyles-type to eat innings until then makes sense then offload for salary relief.

I cant see giving up on Mountcastle yet.  So I would look for a big bat for the outfield.  I would keep Mateo at SS and go Gunnar at third and Ortiz/Westburg at second.   

One top of the rotation type pitcher and you are good I think.   I think we stand pat with the pitching otherwise.  

I would bring in as many solid FA bats as I could get outside of catcher and just figure it out from there. People are worried about blocking top prospects but 1) prospects are iffy no matter how highly rated they are and 2) If we're looking to upgrade the rotation there's a much better chance of doing that via trade than free agency. So, going with that premise, if we're going to trade for a solid SP or two we will be giving multiple prospects and/or young veteran major leaguers anyway so that will take care of much of this blocking prospects issue. 

5 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

To me ME's to do list starts with pitching. Does Mullins get Lopez from Miami? if so do it and then backfill with Kiermeier. Coming off a subpar year at 32 with offseason surgery, maybe $8M for 1 year. Depends on if you believe Cowser can do CF or if you believe in Fabian, maybe go 2 years-$16M. Then look for another trade like EdRod from Detroit, 4 years left at $15M, strained relationship in Det. The TOR added to the staff is Grayson. You have Wells, Bradish, Kremer with several others behind them. Means comes back mid-year so a Lyles-type to eat innings until then makes sense then offload for salary relief.

I'd be happy to trade Mullins for Lopez. And although I've always liked Kiermaier , he seems to get injured a bit too much.

Back Up Catcher - I would see about getting Tucker Barnhart on a cheap deal. Former GG, decent offense until this past year.

1B - I look to seriously trade Mountcastle and market him on finding him a home away from the Wall. I think if he is a piece of a bigger trade, he could help bring us a pitcher. Looking at the league, teams like the Reds, Astros, Angels, and even the Red Sox and Yankees are going to need 1B upgrades or replacements and are stadiums more friendly to Mountcastle's swing. After he's traded, I would like to see the Orioles go after Josh Bell, Anthony Rizzo, or Max Muncy (Possibly sign one of Rizzo/Bell AND sign Muncy to help with DH at bats?). LH Bats, so that will help with the Wall, and they are higher OBP guy and that seems to fit well in to our offensive needs/plan.

2B - Let Urias, Westburg, and Norby battle it out in spring Training

3B - Gunnar

SS - I think I give Mateo one more season. Left side of the infield with be GG worthy, and Mateo could blow up. Gunnar and Westburg are your depth as well.

OF - I trade Santander in the offseason and go into 2023 with Hays, Mullins, and Stowers with hopes that Cowser can replace one of them. Hopefully Hays is performing well and can be traded at some point next season.  I feel like McKenna and Vavra can continue to have a roll in the OF too

DH - Adley, Urias, Vavra and the primary position players can cycle through

SP - Sign one of Chris Bassit, Nathan Eovaldi, or Charlie Morton. See if Mountcastle/Santander and some prospects might be able to bring back another SP (Marlins?). Go into 2023 with Bassit/Eovaldi/Morton, Pitcher picked up in a Trade, Gray Rod, Tyler Wells, Dean Kremer are your starting 5. Means comes back mid year

RP - I would make DL Hall addition going into 2023. He might work back into a SP one day, but I say 2023 we see if he can dominate in a BP role. I would also sign someone like Blake Treinen if he's fully healthy. Hopefully he could regain his 2021 form. I think the Bullpen is a strength going into 2023, so I feel they really need one more solid add.

We definitely need to upgrade at back up C. Someone more offensive minded. What do we have in Vavra and Stowers?  Is Hays just a platoon LF?

I think we’re looking at a near OD lineup of,

1. Mullins CF L

2. Adley  C  S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santander DH S

5. Mountcastle R 1B

6. Cowser L RF

7.  Westburg R 3B

8. Stowers L LF

9. Urias R 2B

Vavra, Hays, Mateo, backup C

Mateo could be traded. As could Santander, but I don’t think we can afford to trade Santander. 

18 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

3B: If this is where Gunnar is best utilized then you are set. I'm convinced he can be elite defensively at 3B, not convinced he would be elite at SS.

SS: The easy answer is to leave Mateo here. SG would probably say that's a lazy answer though. I'd like to see Mateo traded. The free agent market next year is full of Elite SS. Trea Turner appeals to me for his flexibility. He'd be my primary target. If Ortiz is ready soon you can move Turner to CF or 2B. 

Which is better, a very good hitting 3B who is elite defensively, or an elite hitting shortstop who is average defensively? An average SS OPS's .693 this year, while a third baseman is more like .730.  An average defensive shortstop who OPSes .900 is an MVP candidate almost every year. Jeter was a poor defensive shortstop who played through the steroid era and only OPS'd .900 twice and he was a first-ballot HOFer.

Mateo is 27, has a .664 OPS this year, a .658 for his career.  Which is fine if he can continue to be an elite defender.  He's a 2-3 win player.

I don't think I'd put elite free agent resources (i.e. $100M, $150M+ for a lot of years) towards a shortstop with Henderson, Mateo, and Holliday in the system.

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Back Up Catcher - I would see about getting Tucker Barnhart on a cheap deal. Former GG, decent offense until this past year.

1B - I look to seriously trade Mountcastle and market him on finding him a home away from the Wall. I think if he is a piece of a bigger trade, he could help bring us a pitcher. Looking at the league, teams like the Reds, Astros, Angels, and even the Red Sox and Yankees are going to need 1B upgrades or replacements and are stadiums more friendly to Mountcastle's swing. After he's traded, I would like to see the Orioles go after Josh Bell, Anthony Rizzo, or Max Muncy (Possibly sign one of Rizzo/Bell AND sign Muncy to help with DH at bats?). LH Bats, so that will help with the Wall, and they are higher OBP guy and that seems to fit well in to our offensive needs/plan.

2B - Let Urias, Westburg, and Norby battle it out in spring Training

3B - Gunnar

SS - I think I give Mateo one more season. Left side of the infield with be GG worthy, and Mateo could blow up. Gunnar and Westburg are your depth as well.

OF - I trade Santander in the offseason and go into 2023 with Hays, Mullins, and Stowers with hopes that Cowser can replace one of them. Hopefully Hays is performing well and can be traded at some point next season.  I feel like McKenna and Vavra can continue to have a roll in the OF too

DH - Adley, Urias, Vavra and the primary position players can cycle through

SP - Sign one of Chris Bassit, Nathan Eovaldi, or Charlie Morton. See if Mountcastle/Santander and some prospects might be able to bring back another SP (Marlins?). Go into 2023 with Bassit/Eovaldi/Morton, Pitcher picked up in a Trade, Gray Rod, Tyler Wells, Dean Kremer are your starting 5. Means comes back mid year

RP - I would make DL Hall addition going into 2023. He might work back into a SP one day, but I say 2023 we see if he can dominate in a BP role. I would also sign someone like Blake Treinen if he's fully healthy. Hopefully he could regain his 2021 form. I think the Bullpen is a strength going into 2023, so I feel they really need one more solid add.

I really like the idea of Muncy as our 1B. I see Mateo beginning at SS next year and hopefully Ortiz starts off hot and proves he can hit well enough to be an MLB regular. His defense is plus if not elite. Mateo may be able to evolve into a true super utility guy in the IF and OF and get 4-5 starts a week and be a weapon off the bench with the new rules. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We definitely need to upgrade at back up C. Someone more offensive minded. What do we have in Vavra and Stowers?  Is Hays just a platoon LF?

I think we’re looking at a near OD lineup of,

1. Mullins CF L

2. Adley  C  S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santander DH S

5. Mountcastle R 1B

6. Cowser L RF

7.  Westburg R 3B

8. Stowers L LF

9. Urias R 2B

Vavra, Hays, Mateo, backup C

Mateo could be traded. As could Santander, but I don’t think we can afford to trade Santander. 

Do you think that Stowers and Hays would be a good platoon? Can Stowers handle LF in OPACY? 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Which is better, a very good hitting 3B who is elite defensively, or an elite hitting shortstop who is average defensively? An average SS OPS's .693 this year, while a third baseman is more like .730.  An average defensive shortstop who OPSes .900 is an MVP candidate almost every year. Jeter was a poor defensive shortstop who played through the steroid era and only OPS'd .900 twice and he was a first-ballot HOFer.

Mateo is 27, has a .664 OPS this year, a .658 for his career.  Which is fine if he can continue to be an elite defender.  He's a 2-3 win player.

I don't think I'd put elite free agent resources (i.e. $100M, $150M+ for a lot of years) towards a shortstop with Henderson, Mateo, and Holliday in the system.

I would prefer to see Gunner play 3B at least until we can find out if Ortiz can sustain his hit tool. We might be able to have two elite defenders with above average OPS at both positions.  

This is going to be a really interesting offseason. To be honest, we have what looks like a full MLB quality infield in AAA with Westburg, Ortiz, and soon Norby. Ortiz and Norby both need time to start the year in AAA but could be MLB ready by the second half. Of course, they could struggle and get stuck there. Lots of ways this can be played, whether trading Urias/Mateo for prospects or trading prospects for a veteran pitcher. 

If we could get some value for Hays or Urias, they would be the most expendable to help ease the roster crunch. 

Sign an elite SP.  Thinking top shelf Verlander/deGrom for 2 years whatever the cost.

Don’t block C, 2B, 3B, or SS.  Sign anything else that’s a MOO bat.  Ideally a 1B like Bell.

Shopping Santander, Mateo, Mounty, and/or a 2B prospect (return determines which one) for SP2 (Lopez?).

C - Adley

1B - Bell (with guys like Westburg/Norby/Stowers learning the trade)

2B/3B/SS - some combo of Westburg, Urias, Ortiz, Gunnar

LF - Hays, Cowser

CF - Mullins

RF - Stowers

DH - platoons split types.