The Core/Keepers

wildcard

Elias has put together the Core/Keepers that he hopes will carry the O's to a World Series.   Some of us are trying to trade this core away but I don't think Elias will. Who is the Core:

1.1 Catcher Adley Rutschman (24)

2nd rounder SS/3B  Gunnar Henderson (21)

1st rounder LF  Colton Cowser  (22) - sometime in 2023 

30th pick  2B/3B/1B Jordan Westburg (23) -   to start 2023 

1st rounder 1B Ryan Mountcastle (25) 

2nd rounder  RF  Kyle Stowers  (24)

4th rounder  2B/SS/3B   Joey Ortiz   (24) -sometime in 2023

2nd rounder  DH/2B  Connor Norby (22) - sometime in 2023

All Star Cedric Mullins CF (28)

1.1   Jackson Holliday  SS/CF (18)  -  In 2025

1st  rounder  Grayson Rodriguez SP (22) - Start of 2023

1st rounder  DL Hall (24)  -  Sometime as a starter in 2023

Dean Kremer (26)  

Kyle Bradish (26)

Felix Bautista (27)

Cionel Perez (26)

Tyler Wells (28)

These are the  players that the O's are building around.  Not trading.   Sure there are players needed to supplement these guys. And not all of them will make it but this is the direction I think they are headed.

As these players make the majors the current players will be traded to resupply the minors.  To start 2023 they will need Santander and Hays until the core players are ready.

This does not mean that players, especially pitchers, can not be added to fill in where needed.  I just don't think these Core/Keepers players are likely to be traded.

JMO

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Cedric deserves more respect.

15th OF in baseball by fWAR this year. He may not be a 30/30 guy, but he's a stud.

Just because someone is good doesn’t necessarily mean the team is going to build around that player.  That’s what a core guy means to me.  

Just now, luismatos4prez said:

I can't imagine a definition of core that includes Ryan Mountcastle but not Cedric Mullins.

Mullins maybe.  Mountcastle no.   Things change.  By this time next year maybe Cowser, Westburg, etc. establish themselves as core guys.   

This is extremely subjective. A good portion of your listed players haven’t even played a major league game. 

Outside of the obvious “core” guys, I can only name two, the rest are just guys you’re hoping are the core. Plus, if the core first basemen is hitting like Ryan Mountcastle, then you’re not aiming high enough. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, oriole said:

This is extremely subjective. A good portion of your listed players haven’t even played a major league game. 

Outside of the obvious “core” guys, I can only name two, the rest are just guys you’re hoping are the core. Plus, if the core first basemen is hitting like Ryan Mountcastle, then you’re not aiming high enough. 

I guess it depends on if you think this year or last year is the Real Mountcastle. Last year’s numbers have him as borderline top 10 at the position. I think he’ll be closer to last year and could pop higher year to year. Top 10 1B with elite Catcher and SS/3B and you’ve got a good foundation.

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I guess it depends on if you think this year or last year is the Real Mountcastle. Last year’s numbers have him as borderline top 10 at the position. I think he’ll be closer to last year and could pop higher year to year. Top 10 1B with elite Catcher and SS/3B and you’ve got a good foundation.

Mountcastle has a long swing and at times swings at just about everything. I don’t think he’s anymore than a mediocre player with an occasional hot streak.

I love that we have so many young assets like the OP mentioned. My issue with this framework is that we still need to add a big piece or 2 to add to the core if we are going to contend for a World Series.

I don’t see this roster even with all of the young adds next year being able to beat Houston, Seattle, Toronto, Dodgers, Braves, Mets next year in a short series.

Don’t get me wrong I am VERY excited to have so many young promising players. But I hope there is a plan to add to this in order to compete for a championship.

• Upvote 1