Adam Jones Tweet

Bahama O's Fan

The O’s really need to build a constructive relationship with Jones.  He was a key piece of this team for a decade and integrated himself into the community a lot more than most.   He could do a lot of good for the team, PR-wise.   And it should be easy to do, because the people running the baseball part of the operation are not the people who tried to trade him, etc.

A question I’d like him to answer is, what the hell happened in 2018?   That team played like it was comatose, after having been a very intense, hard-nosed team for half a decade.  I’d love his perspective on that.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s really need to build a constructive relationship with Jones.  He was a key piece of this team for a decade and integrated himself into the community a lot more than most.   He could do a lot of good for the team, PR-wise.   And it should be easy to do, because the people running the baseball part of the operation are not the people who tried to trade him, etc.

A question I’d like him to answer is, what the hell happened in 2018?   That team played like it was comatose, after having been a very intense, hard-nosed team for half a decade.  I’d love his perspective on that.

I think the Orioles, as a franchise embrace the past instead of embracing the future.

I know it's easier to sell the past but they really should be looking forward.

That being said Jones is a great personality and I'm glad he's taken this path.  MLB network should snap him up.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Orioles, as a franchise embrace the past instead of embracing the future.

I know it's easier to sell the past but they really should be looking forward.

That being said Jones is a great personality and I'm glad he's taken this path.  MLB network should snap him up.

Yeah, the O's have been beating the drum for long ago championships in 66, 83, and to a less extent 70, but I know I'm more interested in winning a championship in 2023, 2024, or 2025.

11 hours ago, dystopia said:

Dan Duquette was a train wreck of a GM.

I feel the need to defend DD a little bit here.

Coming out of the 98-2011 doldrums, he did a good job of piecemealing a team together that was sometimes great and usually competitive.  And at that time, that's all that we wanted, I don't think anyone who was a diehard really cared that DD wasn't setting this team up for future success past what they could get out of the core group that was here for the 2010s.  

He got a bit creative with guys like Miguel Gonzalez, Chen, Delmon Young, etc.  

Yes, he mortgaged the future and the drafting and development was pretty poor while he was here but he constructed some great teams and those teams gave us a lot of great memories.  DD wasn't the type of GM like Elias is who's whole goal has been to build a consistent winner via a robust pipeline of talent coming up through the system at all times; he was here to get a winner on the field and sustain it the best he could.  And he did.  That was his strength, but building a minor league development system was not.  And even if he did want to, I don't think he had PA's ear to do so.

Yeah, he left it in bad shape, I'm not ignorant to that and I don't want to come off as a total DD apologist.  But as I said, coming out of that period where this franchise was irrelevant, he put some winners (and some contenders) on the field.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You could probably ask him on twitter, he seems really accessible there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Article on Adam's decision to reject the trade to Philly... he tells his side of the story.   He hasn't had a relationship with the Orioles since, but doesn't feel there is irreparable damage or anything.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2022/10/21/adam-jones-says-orioles-didnt-give-enough-time-consider-trade-no-animosity-towards-orioles/

Reading that article just sounds like Jones making excuses.  Knowing the way the team was going and knowing Machado was traded 9 days earlier Jones never contemplated the possibility of getting traded himself?  BS.  The real truth is the part where he thinks he would have been platooned  in RF in Philly and it might hurt his next contact.  He made the wrong decision. For himself and for the team.  Own it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel the need to defend DD a little bit here.

Coming out of the 98-2011 doldrums, he did a good job of piecemealing a team together that was sometimes great and usually competitive.  And at that time, that's all that we wanted, I don't think anyone who was a diehard really cared that DD wasn't setting this team up for future success past what they could get out of the core group that was here for the 2010s.  

He got a bit creative with guys like Miguel Gonzalez, Chen, Delmon Young, etc.  

Yes, he mortgaged the future and the drafting and development was pretty poor while he was here but he constructed some great teams and those teams gave us a lot of great memories.  DD wasn't the type of GM like Elias is who's whole goal has been to build a consistent winner via a robust pipeline of talent coming up through the system at all times; he was here to get a winner on the field and sustain it the best he could.  And he did.  That was his strength, but building a minor league development system was not.  And even if he did want to, I don't think he had PA's ear to do so.

Yeah, he left it in bad shape, I'm not ignorant to that and I don't want to come off as a total DD apologist.  But as I said, coming out of that period where this franchise was irrelevant, he put some winners (and some contenders) on the field.

You could probably ask him on twitter, he seems really accessible there.

I was thinking the same thing and was about to post something similar. I feel like Dan had a window. He know he was gone after 2018 so he aimed for the short term gain to try to win. From 2012 to 2018 was the most exciting period of Orioles history in a long time. I feel like with what he had to work with (Angelos wanting a title while he could enjoy it, meddling, lack of a real minor league system, no real international prescence) he did a good job. 2014 was our year. We lost Weiters, Machado and Davis (who was smashing the ball at the time) and still made it to the ALCS. Imagine the team with those three guys. Looking back, how would we view Dan and Buck had we gone to or even won that World Series? The gems he found in pitching was amazing. I don't think he was terrible GM. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Reading that article just sounds like Jones making excuses.  Knowing the way the team was going and knowing Machado was traded 9 days earlier Jones never contemplated the possibility of getting traded himself?  BS.  The real truth is the part where he thinks he would have been platooned  in RF in Philly and it might hurt his next contact.  He made the wrong decision. For himself and for the team.  Own it.

So far as I’m concerned he doesn’t need to make excuses.  As a 10 and 5 guy, he’d earned the right to reject a trade.  He exercised his right.   End of story. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So far as I’m concerned he doesn’t need to make excuses.  As a 10 and 5 guy, he’d earned the right to reject a trade.  He exercised his right.   End of story. 

He had the right.  He explained why he didn’t except it.  That is the story.  

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He had the right.  He explained why he didn’t except it.  That is the story.  

How did he make the wrong choice for himself?  He didn’t want to uproot for half a season in Philly and had the right not to. Seems like a reasonable decision by him. He wasn’t going to get a major FA contract anyway but he wanted to stay in CF as long as he could until then. Again seems reasonable. No mistakes made here, just a guy exercising his rights as a veteran player.