If you could get Jacob deGrom for 2/$90M; would you do it?

Jim'sKid26

Jim Bowden of the Athletic postulated that he might take a short term, high AAV contract with an opt out after 1 year. This seems like a low risk, relatively, option to roll the dice on the best pitcher, when healthy, in baseball. Would you do it if you were Mike Elias? I think I might. 

https://theathletic.com/3752188/2022/11/04/mlb-free-agents-contract-team-predictions/

Best fits: Mets, Braves, Dodgers, Yankees, Giants, Orioles
Contract prediction: 2 years, $90 million with an opt out after Year 1

Best 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

No way we should do that with his injury history. For 45 million we can get Rodon, Clevinger (or another starter), and a backup catcher.  Or Rodon, Abreu, and a backup catcher. 

I agree that it’s better to spread the risk around among multiple players; however, if it’s only 2 years the risk may actually be less than Rodon at 5/140. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I agree that it’s better to spread the risk around among multiple players; however, if it’s only 2 years the risk may actually be less than Rodon at 5/140. 

Eventually you have to take a chance. There is a risk to every deal. If you sign DeGrom for two years and he has a significant injury in the first year, he could be done basically for both years. Rodon has put together two great years in a row and is getting into his prime years. Out of those five years, I believe whoever signs him will get overall good value.  I doubt he going to have a five year injury period. 
I think we have been bad for so long we are gun shy on everything as a fan base. It’s time to have some guts and make some moves.

• Upvote 1

Jacob Legroom is a damn funny autocorrect. 

Also, I think that type of deal should be considered. The next 3 years might be the best time to spend big-- since we expect the team to be competitive, but we won't yet be paying arbitration or free agent rates for most of our top homegrown players. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Jim Bowden of the Athletic postulated that he might take a short term, high AAV contract with an opt out after 1 year. This seems like a low risk, relatively, option to roll the dice on the best pitcher, when healthy, in baseball. Would you do it if you were Mike Elias? I think I might. 

I'd do 2 years at $45 million per without the opt out after year one in a friggin' heartbeat. It's worth the risk, dude's the best pitcher in baseball.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

if it’s only 2 years the risk may actually be less than Rodon at 5/140

I agree.

Elias better be damn sure deGrom is healthy if you sign him to a contract because he's pitched 156 innings the last two seasons and he's going to be 35 years old in 2023.

I understand older pitchers can still be effective, but I'm thinking it's a pass. There's better risks who can stay healthy even if they lack deGrom's upside as a starting pitcher.