Yusnial Diaz outrighted to Norfolk, off 40-man roster, elects free agency

MurphDogg

I figured this was coming soon. He was dead weight at this point on the 40. They always talk about his tools, but at some point the lacking preparation matters. I was a little optimistic last Spring. The coaches talked about his off season conditioning and he seemed ready for a breakout. It was the first time I had read or heard of good prep on his part. Mostly, I heard about pouting and ambivalence about being in the minors with a lack of drive.

Maybe he clicks somewhere else, so what. Time to move on I think. 

• MurphDogg changed the title to Yusnial Diaz outrighted to Norfolk, off 40-man roster, elects free agency
9 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

The only one in that list I will miss is Hanifee.

I have residual fondness for Hanifee, Wells and Stewart, and I kind of rue the fact that Diaz never panned out for us.  I followed all those guys for many years.  Good luck to everyone on the list, but I’ll probably pay more attention to where those four land.  Who knows, maybe one or two will end up back with the O’s organization after looking around elsewhere.   

I feel like these departures are sort of the last gasp of the Duquette era.   Obviously we still have some good Duquette-era prospects around, like Rodriguez and Hall.   But the ones who were more questionable are pretty much gone.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have residual fondness for Hanifee, Wells and Stewart, and I kind of rue the fact that Diaz never panned out for us.  I followed all those guys for many years.  Good luck to everyone on the list, but I’ll probably pay more attention to where those four land.  Who knows, maybe one or two will end up back with the O’s organization after looking around elsewhere.   

I feel like these departures are sort of the last gasp of the Duquette era.   Obviously we still have some good Duquette-era prospects around, like Rodriguez and Hall.   But the ones who were more questionable are pretty much gone.  

Yeah, I agree. Hanifee was limited this year after TJ surgery. It seemed, if we are to believe Twitter, that he was coming back very strong with mid to high 90’s FB.

He was on a good trajectory with his sinker/slider mix until 2019. I was curious if his stall was from coaching trying to change him to a 4S up in the zone guy. Good luck to all of them, wherever they land.

19 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Glad to see he cleared waivers. Don't expect anything, but would rather have him get one more shot at Norfolk than a 28-year-old AAA free agent.

Edit: Diaz elects free agency

I've said this before and I will say it again here:

I have a sneaking suspicion that DJ Stewart is going to turn into Max Muncy for somebody. 

Shame it couldn't be here. I'd be all over him if I was a team still deep in the throes of a rebuild like the Reds or Pirates.