Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Will Orioles payroll went down because they didn't keep Mancini ,Lopez and Lyles. That's 26 mm. or  so off the books from late season trades and not picking up Lyles. Will they spend 26 mm.  on free agents this year?

I'm sure Elias will be sure to include the arbitration raises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like I keep saying, the offseason is two months from being over.  Plenty of time left to spend money on players.   Just not as many choices.   I also want to remind people of what Elias said in October: “This is the time to start to make more significant investments in the major-league payroll whether that comes in the form of free agents or kind of buy-side trades, I don’t know yet, but I would expect one, if not both of those types of those activities from us.”

So, Elias definitely didn’t promise big free agent signings.   He did promise “significant investments in the major-league payroll.”   If he goes through the winter and this doesn’t happen, I’ll join the chorus of complainers.  But not until then.  

Froberto Alomar, you said there were only six players left you’d wanna sign the other day. 

For free agency, it doesn’t matter how much time is left. What matters is if there’s anyone you deem fit on the market and from what I can tell that list is rapidly dwindling. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Bundy and Davies for the win.

Oooo yeah, Davies is a good one.

He definitely feels like he could be the guy. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Plenty of time left to spend money on players.   Just not as many choices.

The thing is, the lesser the talent available, the easier it is to say "ah, nevermind." 

And the shelves are definitely starting to get a bit light on guys that are clear cut improvements over what we already have.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like I keep saying, the offseason is two months from being over.  Plenty of time left to spend money on players.   Just not as many choices.   I also want to remind people of what Elias said in October: “This is the time to start to make more significant investments in the major-league payroll whether that comes in the form of free agents or kind of buy-side trades, I don’t know yet, but I would expect one, if not both of those types of those activities from us.”

So, Elias definitely didn’t promise big free agent signings.   He did promise “significant investments in the big league payroll.”   If he goes through the winter and this doesn’t happen, I’ll join the chorus of complainers.  But not until then.  

Like you said, he’s running out of players for these “significant investments.” It makes no sense to have those investments come through trades, when comparable players are available in FA and only cost money. This ownership group has not exactly earned the benefit of the doubt with spending. In fact, this off-season is following the same pattern as every other off-season. 

58 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You wanted to give Bassitt that kind of contract?

Of course. Why would you not, for only 3 years? If the alternative approach to improving the rotation is to trade assets for Pablo Lopez, give me the Bassitt deal, all day, every day.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, Elias definitely didn’t promise big free agent signings.   He did promise “significant investments in the major-league payroll.”   If he goes through the winter and this doesn’t happen, I’ll join the chorus of complainers.  But not until then.  

Stop it.   If everyone was as sensible and reasonable as you we’d be missing all of this A+ comedy material on one hand and crying on the ledge on the other hand.   

Haha.  That being said, 3/63 for Bassitt seems pretty reasonable in this market.  I’m patiently waiting to see what Elias comes up with.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My big gripe about this particular move (or lack thereof), is that I just don't see the sense of it. They need a starter, but they clearly don't want to commit long-term to one. Ok. Here was an opportunity to get one for short years, keep him away from a division rival, and not surrender any assets in a trade. It was a potential win all around. Maybe they tried and Bassitt spurned them, I suppose that's possible. Based on what we know, it sure looks like they let a golden opportunity walk past them and into an enemy camp. Elias isn't going to be able to fix that in this off-season, the moment is gone. Anything else he might do for this off-season will either be for a lesser pitcher, or involve trading away assets. So I feel justified in starting the chorus now.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm nearly certain there is a direct quote from Elias saying these exact words: "we will be aggressive in free agency"

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm nearly certain there is a direct quote from Elias saying these exact words: "we will be aggressive in free agency"

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

Like I’ve said about 100 times now, I’ll judge whether he lived up to his words when the offseason is over.