Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have a hard time complaining about any of these "second tier" guys. None of them carry the risk of guys like Ubaldo or Cobb or even Lyles. All of them would upgrade the rotation. 🤷‍♂️

I agree that they may be an upgrade for a year.....maybe even 2.  But signing a 4 year contract sounds like a reach to think they will continue to perform at a positive level.

4 minutes ago, tabletop said:

It's sad that it's just accepted that they won't sign one of the elite starters with their current payroll. That being said the answer is Bassitt. He's more reliable and gives up less runs. Sometimes it's just that simple.

deGrom and Rodon are constantly injured so I don't really have a problem with the Orioles not pursuing them, even if I would personally be willing to roll the dice on deGrom if he could be had on a 3 year deal. Verlander is the only guy I'll be somewhat annoyed about the Orioles not making a run at since he will only require a 2 or 3 year commitment and emphatically showed that he is healthy and still Justin Verlander last year, and a large 2 or 3 year contract for a legitimately elite starter fits our current and future payroll situation like a glove.

13 minutes ago, tabletop said:

It's sad that it's just accepted that they won't sign one of the elite starters with their current payroll. That being said the answer is Bassitt. He's more reliable and gives up less runs. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Is it sad or is it just the right way to do things?

Bassitt is rather intriguing to me. I feel like he would benefit from an analytics driven approach. In 2021 with Oak he was 12-4 with a 3.15 ERA and 159 Ks in 157.1 IP. This generated a FIP=3.34 and xFIP= 3.94; ERA+=3.42. So really good numbers in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in MLB.

Then he goes to the Mets and Citi Field, not the worst place in which to pitch but a far cry from the Oakland Coliseum. He goes 181.2 IP and 15-9 with an ERA = 3.42 and 167 Ks. FIP= 3.46, xFIP= 3.66, ERA+=3.72.

So what happened? Why did he strikeout less guys/IP and generally have a bit less impressive season, although he did throw more IPs? Well, his average FB velo was about the same (93.0 vs 92.9), but he threw it less, (54.7 vs. 46.6). He threw his CB more (6.5 vs 14.0) and his CU less (10.2 vs 5.9). He also saw his SL used a bit more (8.0 vs 15.5).

So if a good pitching analytics group could turn some of those usage treads around, is he worth a 4 year deal and the draft compensation? I would say yes. But he needs to stay healthy and that is a big risk in a 34 yo SP.

41 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Eovaldi's average FB velocity has gone down each of the last 4 years. That is a rather big red flag for me. Couple that with the draft compensation needed to sign him, which by the way is going to a division rival, and I would pass. I think he's an interesting pitcher but I'm concerned the deal would have to be 4 years and with the declining FB velo I would not do it.

So has every pitcher into their 30s.  Look at Kershaw.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, tabletop said:

It's sad because the window is opening and the payroll is currently one of the lowest in the sport. There's no reason they should be near the bottom anymore.

Sigh

The payroll is going to remain low because a huge portion of the team is making the league minimum and more players are going to be added to that.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Sigh

The payroll is going to remain low because a huge portion of the team is making the league minimum and more players are going to be added to that.

Which is why it is the perfect time to add deGrom or Verlander. Even with them the payroll wouldn’t be high.

10 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Which is why it is the perfect time to add deGrom or Verlander. Even with them the payroll wouldn’t be high.

Just because you have the money, doesn’t mean you should spend it poorly. Now, I’m ok with either  of those guys depending on the length of the contracts but they have to want to come here too.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Just because you have the money, doesn’t mean you should spend it poorly. Now, I’m ok with either  of those guys depending on the length of the contracts but they have to want to come here too.

I’m not saying to spend it poorly. I’m saying they should spend it on difference making talent. Guys that are expected to put up 5+ WAR in a full season. Guys that if they stay healthy are difference makers. They could sign Verlander and deGrom if they wanted to and their payroll still wouldn’t be anything crazy. Depending on contract length they could both be off the books before any of the prospects start making more than a couple million.