Orioles sign OF Nomar Mazara

Roll Tide

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Franchy Cordero, Nomar Mazarro.   Talk of Cody Bellinger.   Someone who plays LF, RF, and 1B?   Hmmmm.    What's Joey Gallo been up to lately?

Maybe Elias is working on one of those pictures of evolution where you start from single cell and get to homo sapien, only its all in lefty sluggers.     Yordan Alvarez is the superhuman.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Doing a pretty decent Chris Davis impression, looks like.

Last year, yes.  But he was wroth 4.2 FWAR as recently as 2021 and looks to be a plus fielding RF.   There's a lot of bust potential with him for sure.   He just turned 29.   Maybe he's done.  Maybe not.

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

My first thought was this is bad news for Neustrom. 

Yeah, I thought the same but a lot of times players get the ST invite and have the right to opt out if they are sent down.   He may never play a game for Norfolk.   We'll see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Last year, yes.  But he was wroth 4.2 FWAR as recently as 2021 and looks to be a plus fielding RF.   There's a lot of bust potential with him for sure.   He just turned 29.   Maybe he's done.  Maybe not.

Mazara is an enigma.   Wonder if he is actually 29. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

This sure as hell can’t be the LHH they were looking for. 

You would hope.

Through 2019, he had good numbers vs righties. Over the last 3 years, his OPS Vs righties has been under 650 each of the 3 years.  

I mean, he’s not good. He has no business even being thought of as a MLer. You want to sign him and put him in AAA for insurance, that’s fine. Anything more than that is pathetic.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s a platoon option? This can’t be real. You are going to platoon him with Hays?  Tell me this is just GM speak and not something real.

Maybe he gave assurances to Mazara that he would have a real shot at a big league job in ST to get him to sign here instead of somewhere else and he is just trying to keep him feeling optimistic about his chances?

Or maybe it's just going to be another Lyles/Odor kind of offseason.

Both seem pretty plausible tbh.

I think the Mazara is a platoon option statement is more that he's on the list of options to be on the team. It's not saying he's the top option or even Plan B. He's just another option to throw at the wall in spring training. 

I'm still optimistic we see at least 1-2 legit signings, but am starting to get skeptical. It's starting to feel a bit like the 2011-2012 offseason where we expected some action in the winter meetings and left with Taylor Teagarden. Now, granted, the team did end up winning in 2012, but I would much prefer a more aggressive approach. 

• 2 months later...

Nomar Mazara Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

Jurickson Profar Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

Two guys that came into the league at very young ages.  Profar has had a career resonance and become a valuable part time player in his late 20's.  We haven't talked about Mazara much, but I'm excited to see what our player development can do with him.

Profar .322/.708 career OBP/OPS

Mazara .315/.729 career OBP/OPS

Anyone else think he has a chance to surprise this year?  He hasn't had an above average OPS yet.  He spent his age 25 & 26 seasons in Det & Chi (two teams not known for their player development).  Last year in SD he put up a respectable year at age 27.  He will play this year at 28.