Go Get J. D. Martinez and Zach Greinke

Bahama O's Fan

15 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Let's go make a splash O's,  one or two year deals with high salaries. No long term commitment. Make us competitive for a playoff spot now while soon moving on and not blocking prospects for long.

Absolute waste of money and you know it's bad when I'm saying that and because it's not my money. Neither one of those signings would move the needled because it's not 2019.

Edited by HakunaSakata

23 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Let's go make a splash O's,  one or two year deals with high salaries. No long term commitment. Make us competitive for a playoff spot now while soon moving on and not blocking prospects for long.

I appreciate the effort. But my question is go get them and do what?

So we have Martinez and Grienke and then what? Does that get us any closer to a playoff spot? Or is that not the goal?

I understand at this point nobody is out there, but Grienke? Why would we want him? If it was 5-7 years ago that would be awesome. Now, not sure what he gives us in the way of production that we already don’t have.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You shouldn't be making any one avenue of talent acquisition a major plank in your team building strategy.

Like I don't know, just concentrating on accumulating high draft picks.

No, not all talent acquisition strategies are created equal. 

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Last year, Martinez had a .790 OPS and Greinke had an ERA+ of  111. Is that not better than what we plan to run out there now?

I would have loved Greinke a couple years ago, but his peripherals have been trending downward. WHIP has been increasing and strikeouts have been trending downward.

Given how the Orioles have handled free agency he might make sense as more pitchers come off the board. We just have to be prepared if Greinke is washed up next season. 

JD Martinez is a decent bat, but I get the impression Elias isn't looking for a full time DH. I'd take him on a two year deal.  

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s