Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So every time they advance a level they throw out all the old data?

It's weird, as much as folks here talk up the front office it also seems like they sometimes underestimate them.  They should have a lot of data to draw from.

Yes, they do.  And clearly they've come to a differnt conclusion than you.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt; not random posters on the OH- no offense to random posters on the OH.  I'm a random poster on the OH.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

No, acting like Ortiz is DEFINITELY ready is the only thing that is untrue.  This is a discussion that could be had but it isn't had in good faith.  There are posters who KNOW he's ready, when of course, you can't possibly know that.  But judging by historical and current norms, 120 ABS in AAA is nothing.

His glove is definitely ready. That’s what people are saying and since that is what Mateo is bringing the table, it stands to reason that he can replace him.

Either way, Mateo is definitely not “too important” to trade.

• Upvote 1

That would require me to read your entire post and we both know I can only handle maybe two sentences at a time when it comes to your posts.  😉

It was 3 sentences but the first two should have been good enough to answer your question.

Just now, Pickles said:

No, acting like Ortiz is DEFINITELY ready is the only thing that is untrue.  This is a discussion that could be had but it isn't had in good faith.  There are posters who KNOW he's ready, when of course, you can't possibly know that.  But judging by historical and current norms, 120 ABS in AAA is nothing.

Sorry, but I take the experts and Tony's opinion when he says he's MLB ready with the glove now.  And since the glove is all he's really needing to replace, that make him ready in my book.  No, 120 ABS in AAA isn't much, but it's not like we don't have the rest of his minor league career to judge from.  And we know what we've got with Mateo, so the comparison really isn't that hard.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still waiting for the evidence that you must have X amount of at bats at AAA(or any at bats for that matter) to prove you are ready.  

There is no evidence.   Ortiz probably is ready.   That doesn't mean that having Mateo start the season as the SS is necessarily a bad idea.

I'm usually one who believes in having kids spend some time in AAA as I do think there is value in that experience and getting good at each level.  But the needs of the MLB club outweigh that belief in this case.  I believe that Ortiz can replace Mateos glove NOW (as do most experts that I've read, so it's not just this random posters opinion) and with the lack of quality in Mateos bat, it would not be difficult for Ortiz to at least match the production that Mateo brings to the plate.  Because of that I think we are better team with Ortiz at SS versus Mateo as the potential for a better at bats is there.  It improves the team, so I want it to happen ASAP.  

• Upvote 1

Got to keep Ortiz down long enough to keep him from free agency for another year.

And honestly if that's the reasoning I'm ok with that, at least to a point.  But let's not kid ourselves that it's because he isn't ready or that Mateo is so valuable to our team and can't be replaced.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Can you point to anyone who has said it’s a “bad idea”?

Haha.  I was going to say "no" and then I saw your next post which said they only reason to keep Mateo on the team is if he has no trade value.   I partly agree with that but let's suppose that Mateo can hit anywhere close to what he showed last July when he dramatically changed his stance and approach.    That would be a good reason to keep him on the team.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I was going to say "no" and then I saw your next post which said they only reason to keep Mateo on the team is if he has no trade value.   I partly agree with that but let's suppose that Mateo can hit anywhere close to what he showed last July when he dramatically changed his stance and approach.    That would be a good reason to keep him on the team.

Well if you read my next post, you would know I didn’t say it was a bad idea.

You keeping hanging onto that small sample size. You are like wildcard but without the likability.

That sample size means nothing. It’s a clear outlier to most, if not all, of his pro career.

Guys have been bad hitters/players for the early part of their career only to come out of nowhere and be good.  Could Mateo do that?  Sure, stranger things have happened and you can never discount the possibility. But to actually hint at that happening, because he hit well for a month or so, is ridiculous.

I would expect ANY professional athlete to look good at times. These are, after all, the best in the world at what they do. But when there is zero evidence of sustainability and the player is much closer to 30 than 20, I think you just chalk him to what he is instead of holding onto a fantasy of him becoming what he isn’t.