Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the bottom line is we don't really match up (with Miami)

Been saying this for a month or two now. Their biggest needs are 1B and CF, and those are not really positions we can afford to trade from without a significant outside addition to fill the new hole we created at 1B and CF by trading Mountcastle or Mullins.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We absolutely match up for any pitcher they want to trade. It’s silly to say otherwise.

If we want to overpay I guess, sure. But there's no replacement for Mullins right now. They don't need Santander because he's not a CF. Who else are you trading them? 

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Been saying this for a month or two now. Their biggest needs are 1B and CF, and those are not really positions we can afford to trade from without a significant outside addition to fill the new hole we created at 1B and CF by trading Mountcastle or Mullins.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the bottom line is we don't really match up for Lopez. Mullins is too much, Santander isn't enough, and they don't want prospects. 

3rded, despite what @Sports Guy thinks. The best we can do (without creating a big hole) is to offer MLB ready prospects. If that doesn't interest the Marlins then I don't see a fit unless we're willing to take a step back this season (for the greater good).  I don't think we are (and we probably shouldn't be). 

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Right. Those are the two positions with the least depth in the system. We're not giving up our 26-man starters at CF or 1B for a starter we'll control for 2 years. Not happening. Nor should it. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

3rded, despite what @Sports Guy thinks. The best we can do (without creating a big hole) is to offer MLB ready prospects. If that doesn't interest the Marlins then I don't see a fit unless we're willing to take a step back this season (for the greater good).  I don't think we are (and we probably shouldn't be). 

LOL.  Where did I say that trading with Miami doesn't create a hole somewhere on the offense.

I'll wait when while you find that quote.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Mountcastle irreplaceable?   Mountcastle was a 1.3 RWAR last year.  Mancini was 1.4.   We could figure something out.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They have a need for Mullins, Mountcastle, one of Mateo or Urias and Santander.

The hae ZERO need or Santander. They already have a plodding bat who can't play the OF in Soler. Mullins and Mountcastle are the only two Major League players who would fill significant holes for the Marlins, but trading them would create significant holes for us (i.e., we don't match up well).  You're trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Miami wants Mountcastle, you move him and put Santander at first.  Maybe you also give Stowers a chance there.

We reportedly tried out Santander at 1B during practice last year but never actually played him there in a game, which would seem to imply that they did not like what they saw.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Miami wants Mountcastle, you move him and put Santander at first.  Maybe you also give Stowers a chance there.

So you're solution is to have the team play a guy at 1B who's never played 1B before? Yeah, that seems like a perfectly reasonable solution. Maybe we can just play Felix Bautista there (big target!) and switch him in to pitch in the 9th.