What is the real reason for our off season?

DocJJ

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Because the talent level and goal of the season’s are completely different. 

Last year he flew down to Texas instead of waiting for the team to come home after the deadline. He wanted to talk to players. He talked about how they are done acting in this manner. He stated basically that was the end of them operating that way. 

There is no way he will go down that road again. He would completely lose the clubhouse and the fan base would flip. You can’t state the team is viewed as a contender and then turn around and ditch a possible playoff season for the future. He didn’t buy into the 2022 team. He and the organization lose all credibility.  

I disagree.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From the looks of it, he's not buying into the 2023 team, either.

BuT tHe oFfSeAsOn iSn'T oVeR!!!111

I think he is buying into the possibilities of the 2023 season but not at the cost of impacting future seasons. How much the lack of willingness to spend money is due to ownership we will never know. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

I think he is buying into the possibilities of the 2023 season but not at the cost of impacting future seasons. How much the lack of willingness to spend money is due to ownership we will never know. 

IMO, it seems like a vicious cycle to fall into.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2023 season because it'll impact future seasons.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2024 season because it'll impact future seasons.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2025 season because it'll impact future seasons.

Contracts like Davis, Cobb and Ubaldo shouldn't have kept this franchise from spending money...and I'm not advocating spending like a drunken sailor, but spending wisely...which could have been done this offseason.  If we got Bassitt for the deal that the Jays got him for and he flopped, we should be able to absorb that and it shouldn't prohibit us from making other moves.

The only thing that is holding up the Orioles, IMO, is the fear of making bad moves.  And I think that goes hand-in-hand a bit with penny-pinching but it's whatever at this point.   

The cost of impacting future seasons isn't just reserved for shying away from multi-year deals because of fear.  It's also allowing the fear to keep you from getting in the game.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If we get Archer, even on a Harvey deal, I will pee on the Warehouse.  

but he used to be really good for the Rays! And some Orioles fans are naive enough (and Roch and the FO will try to sell it) that he is an upgrade! We didn't even need Bassitt or Eovaldi, we got Archer!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, it seems like a vicious cycle to fall into.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2023 season because it'll impact future seasons.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2024 season because it'll impact future seasons.  Afraid of giving multi-year contracts before the 2025 season because it'll impact future seasons.

Contracts like Davis, Cobb and Ubaldo shouldn't have kept this franchise from spending money...and I'm not advocating spending like a drunken sailor, but spending wisely...which could have been done this offseason.  If we got Bassitt for the deal that the Jays got him for and he flopped, we should be able to absorb that and it shouldn't prohibit us from making other moves.

The only thing that is holding up the Orioles, IMO, is the fear of making bad moves.  And I think that goes hand-in-hand a bit with penny-pinching but it's whatever at this point.   

The cost of impacting future seasons isn't just reserved for shying away from multi-year deals because of fear.  It's also allowing the fear to keep you from getting in the game.

Sure, it could be a pattern. 

I do genuinely think Elias does not believe the club is at it’s peak. Does that mean they will be more aggressive in terms of money when they are? Time will tell. 

Edited by eddie83