O's Opening Day Position Players

Bahama O's Fan

Roch posted these 13 players as who he expects to be on the opening day roster, if not other additions or subtractions are made:

Catchers
Adley Rutschman
James McCann

Infielders
Gunnar Henderson
Jorge Mateo
Ramón Urías
Ryan Mountcastle
Adam Frazier
Terrin Vavra

Outfielders
Austin Hays
Cedric Mullins
Anthony Santander
Ryan McKenna
Kyle Stowers

Thoughts? Comments? Agree or disagree?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Roch posted these 13 players as who he expects to be on the opening day roster, if not other additions or subtractions are made:

Catchers
Adley Rutschman
James McCann

Infielders
Gunnar Henderson
Jorge Mateo
Ramón Urías
Ryan Mountcastle
Adam Frazier
Terrin Vavra

Outfielders
Austin Hays
Cedric Mullins
Anthony Santander
Ryan McKenna
Kyle Stowers

Thoughts? Comments? Agree or disagree?

Seems logical, given the embolden caveat.  Of course, unforeseen performance and/or health concerns could crop up during spring training.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree.  Westburg has a shot, but he’s not on the 40-man roster yet so I’m expecting he’ll start the year in AAA.

Johnson and maybe Means will be going on the 60 day IL so there is room for Westburg on the 40 man.   He probably battles Vavra for a 26 man spot.

Its up to Westburg to have a good ST.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That’s a pretty stupid reason for him to start in AAA. Aren’t we trying to win this year?

Elias is trying to win for the next 10 years.   Remember the line?   I forget the word.   We aren't trying to "(juke?) " 2023 at the expense of 2024-2025-2026.    I'm sure if they thought the difference between making the playoffs or not was having Westburg on the OD roster, it might be different.

Edited by RZNJ

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its real progress that  1st rounder Westburg will be in camp with a chance to compete for a 26 man roster spot.  It up to him to play well enough to win that spot.

Do you think he has a real chance if Henderson, Mateo, Urias, and Frazier are all here and healthy?

Vavra appears to be the last man on the roster. That seems right to me. One question that has been brought up is if a backup 1B would be better but I like Vavra better and I think he can play 1B as well as Urias (who will be searching for ABs), McAnn, and Adley. If we want to stack a lineup with lefties I'd rather have Vavra in the lineup over any 1B option currently in the system. 

Think O’Hearn is last man. 

I do not understand barring injuries why anyone would think Westburg would be on the roster. They sighed Frazier and still have Urias. He is going to play everyday until they want him called up. It’s one thing to bring up a prospect late in the year and play him sparingly in a playoff race. You don’t do that at the start of the season. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• When Mateo is hitting well, he really makes you wonder why he can’t do it all the time.   He looks really balanced at the plate, he uses all fields, etc.  He doesn’t look like a bad hitter who happens to be on a heater.   But that’s what his track record shows he is, until proven otherwise.  I remember that Fangraphs article last year about how Mateo had changed his approach and the improvement seemed real.  Well, no it wasn’t.  But maybe his issues are more psychological than physical?   He’s just a guy who when he slumps, quickly loses confidence and starts pressing and makes it worse?   I don’t know.    As to your point about OBP: in 2024, a .299 OBP is below average but I might not say it blows.  The MLB average is back down to .312 after a spike last year after the rule changes.  Of 312 players with 80+ PA, Mateo’s .299 ranks 191st, or 39th percentile.   Honestly, in this environment, if Mateo could stay at .299 OBP he’d be a very credible player.   But he’s a .272 career OPS guy who’d been at .267 the last two years, so I’m not expecting he’ll be able to stay at .299.   I’ll enjoy it while he’s hot though.   And he is playing a mean 2B.   Took him a couple of weeks to settle in there, but he’s looked great for the last month.    
    • I broached the experiment of Holliday in CF some months ago.  It seems to be something that could make sense.  I still expect he'll be our 2B moving forward, but having such versatility is never a bad thing.  
    • Mateo does seem to be that “outsider” guy that a lot of the young guys seem to have good chemistry with. And by outsider I mean, player they didn’t play with in the minors.
    • Btw, this could also be nothing more than them trying him out there for versatility reasons..just shagging fly balls and what not..ala Westburg in the past. May not mean they envision him as a starter out there.
    • Mateo and Gunnar turned a show stopping double play yesterday. Love the finnese and confidence from them both.
    • I don’t think it’s desperate at all.   Having more options is always a good thing, and we know the O’s value defensive versatility.  I can think of many SS types who ended up in CF.   Jackson Merrill, who was a top 10-20 prospect as a SS coming into this season, is now the starting CF for the Padres and a good candidate for NL ROY.   Trea Turner played mostly CF for the Nats in 2016 after his call-up, despite having played SS almost exclusively in the minors.  Robin Yount was moved from SS to CF.  So, I see no harm in experimenting with this.  For now though, this is just a rumor so far as I’m concerned.  
    • I don't expect Mateo to continue to be this good but I'm going to enjoy him while he is. I can't really bring myself to complain about his offensive game when some of our regular hitters have yet to eclipse Mateo's OBP mark. I'll reserve my Mateo complaints for when he is no longer playing like one of our better position players.  I find much more to complain about with Mullins, Santander, Hays, McCann, and Urias. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now