O's Opening Day Position Players

Bahama O's Fan

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Think O’Hearn is last man. 

I do not understand barring injuries why anyone would think Westburg would be on the roster. They sighed Frazier and still have Urias. He is going to play everyday until they want him called up. It’s one thing to bring up a prospect late in the year and play him sparingly in a playoff race. You don’t do that at the start of the season. 

I think this is probably correct.  I’m still waiting to see if the O’s make a trade that clears some of the logjam.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think he has a real chance if Henderson, Mateo, Urias, and Frazier are all here and healthy?

I’m predicting that if Westburg has a decent Spring we’ll deal either Mateo or Urias towards the end of ST to make room for him on the opening day roster. 

I'd bet against Vavra making the team.  If he does, I'd expect it to be as an outfielder rather than infielder.  When you consider that he struggled to get starts over Odor last season, the addition of Frazier plus more competition on his heels with Westburg and Norby, it's almost impossible to see him making the team as an infielder.  An injury to Hays or Santander is his best shot.  

Edited by ChuckS

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Think O’Hearn is last man. 

I do not understand barring injuries why anyone would think Westburg would be on the roster. They sighed Frazier and still have Urias. He is going to play everyday until they want him called up. It’s one thing to bring up a prospect late in the year and play him sparingly in a playoff race. You don’t do that at the start of the season. 

Easy answer.  Westburg will probably hit.  Better than O'Hearn, Urias, Maybe better than Frazier or Mountcastle.  More power than Vavra.  He can move around.  Can play 2B, 1B, DH, 3B, maybe COF.   He doesn't have to play one position all the time.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Easy answer.  Westburg will probably hit.  Better than O'Hearn, Urias, Maybe better than Frazier or Mountcastle.  More power than Vavra.  He can move around.  Can play 2B, 1B, DH, 3B, maybe COF.   He doesn't have to play one position all the time.

I can’t see them using him in some sort of a super utility role. Hard enough to make a rookie comfortable in the big leagues. 

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would hope whether he makes the team or not would be based on his body of work and the organization's plan. ST shouldn't mean anything unless there is an injury.

He is in a competition with Vavra, and O'Hearn for the last spot on the roster (if things stay as they are now).   He is going to have to show he is ready for the majors.

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would hope whether he makes the team or not would be based on his body of work and the organization's plan. ST shouldn't mean anything unless there is an injury.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He is in a competition with Vavra, and O'Hearn for the last spot on the roster (if things stay as they are now).   He is going to have to show he is ready for the majors.

Siding with Aristotelian here.

Spring Training competitions aren't much of a thing.  They have a lot more important stuff to look at than a few dozen at bats against wildly variable competition.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its up to Westburg to have a good ST.

I can virtually guarantee that Westburg could tear up ST and get sent to AAA because that's what their development timeline looks like for him. Elias will stick to that timeline over almost anything else. And like it or not I'm guessing they want him to show he can continue to hit AAA pitching for a month or so.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I can virtually guarantee that Westburg could tear up ST and get sent to AAA because that's what their development timeline looks like for him. Elias will stick to that timeline over almost anything else. And like it or not I'm guessing they want him to show he can continue to hit AAA pitching for a month or so.

And kick that service clock back a year.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

413 PA,  869 OPS at AAA.   He has passed Elias' criteria for being ready at about 200-250 PA.

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I’m predicting that if Westburg has a decent Spring we’ll deal either Mateo or Urias towards the end of ST to make room for him on the opening day roster. 

We should do that regardless due to Westburgs body of work. If Westburg isn't ready, Ortiz and Norby are not far behind. IMO the most likely thing holding up a Urias trade is that nobody has offered anything of value.