A different offseason game…if you could bring back one non-HOF Oriole for the 2023 O’s, who would it be?

Frobby

Based on need  Erik Bedard, 2007.

Depending on who could be traded this off-season: Tejada (2004), Palmeiro (90s), Sheets (1987), Dwyer, Lynn (87ish), Tettleton(89, and others this year), Milligan (89/90), Williamson (good years )

and Todd Frohwirth just because we need some good anomalies to happen this 2023!

37 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Does it have to be their prime season for the orioles? If not, I’d take 2015 Jake Arrieta over 2007 Bedard. 

That's a good question! I was thinking it implied we would bring back the player's past performance with the Orioles, but if not then Arrieta would definitely be a better choice. It still stings a bit that he went on to win the Cy Young after we traded him. 

31 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

That's a good question! I was thinking it implied we would bring back the player's past performance with the Orioles, but if not then Arrieta would definitely be a better choice. It still stings a bit that he went on to win the Cy Young after we traded him. 

I had in mind the player’s typical performance as an Oriole.  Certainly not the best performance they ever had for any team they ever played for.   That would be an interesting exercise though, with guys like Sammy Sosa, Vlad Guerrero, Fernando Valenzuela, etc.

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You guys gotta pump the brakes.  Frobby asked for one player, you guys are trying to field an entire team.  James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner aren't walking through that door, folks.

Why Tettleton?  He's not playing in front of Adley.

Ok... technically I failed the assignment because I listed more than one player... But why Tettleton?  Because we need a backup catcher and in my scenario it would be Mickey Tettleton from 1996 towards the end of his career.  Adley hit .174/.287/.582 against lefties last year.  I expect he'll be better this year... but Mickey was a switch hitter who slashed .245/.270/.821 in 96.  Plus, over the course of his career he DH'd in 361 games, played first base (125 games) and RF (124 games).  Also, in my scenario, Mickey was in the twilight of his career and wanted to come back to Baltimore and was content to be the backup.  Switch hitting backup catcher with some power who hits left handers well and can play 1st base... why not?  

11 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Ok... technically I failed the assignment because I listed more than one player... But why Tettleton?  Because we need a backup catcher and in my scenario it would be Mickey Tettleton from 1996 towards the end of his career.  Adley hit .174/.287/.582 against lefties last year.  I expect he'll be better this year... but Mickey was a switch hitter who slashed .245/.270/.821 in 96.  Plus, over the course of his career he DH'd in 361 games, played first base (125 games) and RF (124 games).  Also, in my scenario, Mickey was in the twilight of his career and wanted to come back to Baltimore and was content to be the backup.  Switch hitting backup catcher with some power who hits left handers well and can play 1st base... why not?  

Fair, but I figured the pitching is more of an issue.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair, but I figured the pitching is more of an issue.

You're right about that.  I had Scott McGregor in my list, but only because other people already had Mike Cuellar.   But truthfully, I wonder how pitchers like Cuellar, McNally, and Palmer would fare in today's game.