Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

29 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’d have preferred to keep Diaz over this guy but it seemed inevitable he’d be designated again anyways so I guess it doesn’t matter who is replacing him. Hernandez looks like he’s gonna suck though. Why can’t they just add good players?

When Elias picked up Cionel Perez, Bryan Baker, Austin Voth, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Renato Nunez, Hanser Alberto, and Jorge Lopez, all for practically nothing, did you applaud the moves because they were "good players"?   Because every one of those guys contributed > 1 WAR to the Orioles, some of them significantly more.

Not saying Hernandez will belong on that list, but when it comes to off-season acquisitions of fringe major leaguers and minor leaguers, Elias has done pretty darn well.   Major league established veteran acquisitons (Odor, Aguilar, Phillips, etc) has been a different story, Elias's track record is very questionable.   But plucking these nobodies from the waiver wire or the DFA wire or minor league free agency, Elias has done pretty well.   The acquisition of most of those guys I named above were greeted with yawns or complaints here on OH

• Upvote 2