International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's not as if MLB owners have some sort of moral objection.

No, not at all.  But they have a bottom line objection.  Going to a draft will save them money....maybe not in the amounts they pay the players, but all the extra money and headaches. they have to jump through now.  The money to the players may end up being neutral, I don't know as we don't know exactly how a draft would be set up.  But cutting out all the extra mouths that they also feed in the process currently would likely save them money.  

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH have you seen/heard enough about Almeyda to give us an idea where he might slot into the system.  Is he top 10? 20? 

I’m not Tony, but if you look at where he slotted Sammy Basallo (11) and Braylin Tavera (21), I’d say somewhere in between.  He got a significantly higher bonus than Basallo, but Basallo has looked good in both the DSL and FCL.  He got a somewhat higher bonus than Tavera, who had a solid but not great campaign in the DSL last year.  So I’d say somewhere between them is the right spot.   But until he actually plays, who knows? 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH have you seen/heard enough about Almeyda to give us an idea where he might slot into the system.  Is he top 10? 20? 

It is always very hard to put these guys in without DSL stats, but we do have some more information on Almeyda performing well here in the states against older competition. I have to look at closer but probably somewhere around Basallo. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty big signing bonus compared to some of the other guys ranked around him.

I wonder if that’s an indication that they rank him too low, if the Os have to pay more to get guys because of the lack of past relationships or if he was highly sought after and they just had to go higher to get him..or if it’s a combo of some or all of that?

Either way, great to see it get done.  Let’s hope this one works out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pretty big signing bonus compared to some of the other guys ranked around him.

I wonder if that’s an indication that they rank him too low, if the Os have to pay more to get guys because of the lack of past relationships or if he was highly sought after and they just had to go higher to get him..or if it’s a combo of some or all of that?

Either way, great to see it get done.  Let’s hope this one works out.

Given that he only moved to the DR a year ago or so, I doubt the lack of past relationships was a factor.  

• Upvote 2