International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's not as if MLB owners have some sort of moral objection.

No, not at all.  But they have a bottom line objection.  Going to a draft will save them money....maybe not in the amounts they pay the players, but all the extra money and headaches. they have to jump through now.  The money to the players may end up being neutral, I don't know as we don't know exactly how a draft would be set up.  But cutting out all the extra mouths that they also feed in the process currently would likely save them money.  

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH have you seen/heard enough about Almeyda to give us an idea where he might slot into the system.  Is he top 10? 20? 

I’m not Tony, but if you look at where he slotted Sammy Basallo (11) and Braylin Tavera (21), I’d say somewhere in between.  He got a significantly higher bonus than Basallo, but Basallo has looked good in both the DSL and FCL.  He got a somewhat higher bonus than Tavera, who had a solid but not great campaign in the DSL last year.  So I’d say somewhere between them is the right spot.   But until he actually plays, who knows? 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

@Tony-OH have you seen/heard enough about Almeyda to give us an idea where he might slot into the system.  Is he top 10? 20? 

It is always very hard to put these guys in without DSL stats, but we do have some more information on Almeyda performing well here in the states against older competition. I have to look at closer but probably somewhere around Basallo. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty big signing bonus compared to some of the other guys ranked around him.

I wonder if that’s an indication that they rank him too low, if the Os have to pay more to get guys because of the lack of past relationships or if he was highly sought after and they just had to go higher to get him..or if it’s a combo of some or all of that?

Either way, great to see it get done.  Let’s hope this one works out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pretty big signing bonus compared to some of the other guys ranked around him.

I wonder if that’s an indication that they rank him too low, if the Os have to pay more to get guys because of the lack of past relationships or if he was highly sought after and they just had to go higher to get him..or if it’s a combo of some or all of that?

Either way, great to see it get done.  Let’s hope this one works out.

Given that he only moved to the DR a year ago or so, I doubt the lack of past relationships was a factor.  

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I still care about wins. I remember following Palmer and others to get to 20 in the 70s. That's one of the things I miss about baseball from those years when all the starting pitchers would have these big win-loss totals in July and beyond. Fingers was talking yesterday about having an 8-man staff in the playoffs one year. I hope Rodriguez can get to 20.  
    • Though there are a lot of outfielders right now I am not sure there will be that many next year.   Santander, Hays and maybe even Mullins may not be on the team.   That leaves Kjerstad probably RF,   Cowser CF depending on if he hits.     Norby, Stowers are probably traded.    Beavers and Fabian are not hitting that well at AA.   They could spend all season next year at AAA.   I could see Mayo at 3B and Westburg in LF.  Not because Westburg isn't a good 3B but because of Mayo, Holliday and Westburg,  I think Westburg would be the best LFer. So I don't really see Kjerstad as expendable.
    • I don’t expect it to happen, but I still always holD out hope for some of the high upside hs bats (Gillen specifically at 22, almost any of them at 32). We really don’t do it, but have really hit when we do (Jackson, Gunnar, Mayo).    id be a bit surprised if Benge is still there, and Honeycutt. 
    • While those three SP are pretty good. The Cubs problem is their bullpen but even more so (like much of MLB) their offense. I'm very confident that we will handle them like we do everyone else.
    • I agree trading Kjerstad is borderline.  I suggested a Kjerstad led deal for Crochet.   Two problems.  Some people don’t think that’s enough and I’m still not confident Elias would do it even if it was enough.   
    • I understand the sentiment, IMO it's just the wrong situation. Teams that are this good, young, and inexpensive should not cast their lot on "cash considerations" kinds of players. We are arguably the best team in baseball with a very legit shot at a title (first in over 40 years). The waiver wire/players who are DFA's is not the way to go this year. Even if an opportunity arises where a useful player like Aaron Hicks becomes available (like he did last year), it is doubtful that we would be high enough in the peaking order to claim such a player (given how good our record is). I don't think you should ever shut yourself off from any avenue of talent acquisition. But I'm curious why you think "the waiver wire"/"bargain bin"/"cash considerations" is the best way to improve the team? 
    • Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I was just shy of my 24th birthday and I remember it very well.  😀
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now