Baseball America 2023 Top 100

RVAOsFan

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Who do you think has a chance to make the top 100 next year? 

-Mayo?

-Basallo?

-Kjrestad?

-Povich?

-Beavers?

Those would be my front runners.  Think there are some sleepers left that have a shot with another year of improvement.

Mayo will be on it this year(should be on it now).

Your list is good. I would say Basallo is top of my list outside of Mayo.

A darkhorse candidate is Fabian.

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Who do you think has a chance to make the top 100 next year? 

-Mayo?

-Basallo?

-Kjrestad?

-Povich?

-Beavers?

Those would be my front runners.  Think there are some sleepers left that have a shot with another year of improvement.

This is a fun excercise.    Those are good guesses.   Max Wagner and Fabian.

Would you sign up for production from the group like this over the next four years?     Meoli's newsletter today had the callback the 2019 Rays with nine BA Top 100 guys were one of the rare Clubs to beat the O's current count?

4 - Wander Franco

23 - Brent Honeywell

47 - Brendan McKay

56 - Ronaldo Hernandez

58 - Matthew Liberatore

62 - Jesus Sanchez

64 - Vidal Brujan

93 - Brandon Lowe

97 - Nate Lowe

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My Sleepers: Wagner, Fabian, Hernaiz, & Prieto (I think this guy can hit and a couple years of USA training and food will do him a world of good - he's also a little older so might sneak into his man strength this year).

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

My Sleepers: Wagner, Fabian, Hernaiz, & Prieto (I think this guy can hit and a couple years of USA training and food will do him a world of good - he's also a little older so might sneak into his man strength this year).

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

My longshot is John Rhodes.   Norby was interviewed the other night and picked Hernaiz and Rhodes as two 'underrated players" in the system.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My longshot is John Rhodes.   Norby was interviewed the other night and picked Hernaiz and Rhodes as two 'underrated players" in the system.

What was his injury again?  I do remember a lot of people being high on him after we drafted him.  I've never had the chance to see him play.  

I'm listening to the BA podcast about the top 100 rankings.  Dalton Rushing's name came up quite a few times.  To cite why the LAD ranked as the best developmental org and guys who just missed the top 100.  There was no mention of Coby Mayo that I recall.

Dalton Rushing was the #40 overall pick in 2022.  He's a great prospect.  The fact that he's a C helps as well.  LAD started the 21 y/o at CPX and quickly moved him to A ball where is posted really good stats.  They are slightly better than what Mayo posted in A ball.  BUT Mayo was 19!  They are sleeping on Mayo...

Dalton Rushing - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

Coby Mayo - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You bring guys up when they are ready. You don’t need to bring guys up at the same time for some odd continuity reason or whatever. People have been using that argument for a while now.

”Maybe we should keep Adley down to work with Grayson”. People on here and in social media actually said that.

That’s so dumb. You dont hold back guys so that can all come up together as one group.

I'm not arguing that Adley/Grayson weren't ready, but you could argue that Westburg could use more polish for a new defensive position, or Ortiz more work with the bat to prove it.  Again, I don't support the Frazier signing, and am still an advocate of trading Mateo, moving Gunnar to SS and letting Ortiz/Westburg win 2B.  But I could see the flip side of doing all that a year from now as well.

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Definitely fun. Also, everyone should keep in mind that draft status, int’l signing bonus, and most likely having to be around AA, all matters with the top 100 lists. So with all that said, here’s how I see the likelihood of newcomers to a national top 100,

Kjerstad - the only serious knock on him was that he had a rare disease. Maybe the strikeouts. If he comes out hitting bombs, then he’ll get added back to lists quickly. Does he start in A+ or AA?

Beavers - sometimes a forgotten 1st rd pick at #33. He’ll be 21 pretty much all of next season.  He just has to hit.

Basaillo - can he stay at C?

Fabian - Zach Watson went 20/20 one year and didn’t have a job the next. So I think he’s probably got to prove the naysayers wrong till AAA.

Sleeper - Carter Young - Was talked about going pretty high in rd 1 until he had a really bad Jr year at Vandy. Could just a simple adjustment be needed?

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Would you sign up for production from the group like this over the next four years?     Meoli's newsletter today had the callback the 2019 Rays with nine BA Top 100 guys were one of the rare Clubs to beat the O's current count?

4 - Wander Franco

23 - Brent Honeywell

47 - Brendan McKay

56 - Ronaldo Hernandez

58 - Matthew Liberatore

62 - Jesus Sanchez

64 - Vidal Brujan

93 - Brandon Lowe

97 - Nate Lowe

If we got the production out of the current 8, I imagine people here would be upset.  If Gunnar = Franco, great, but other than that, there's nothing else definitive there other than B Lowe.  Many of these guys are still hopeful, but not useful pieces.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

4 - Wander Franco

23 - Brent Honeywell

47 - Brendan McKay

56 - Ronaldo Hernandez

58 - Matthew Liberatore

62 - Jesus Sanchez

64 - Vidal Brujan

93 - Brandon Lowe

97 - Nate Lowe

26 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

If we got the production out of the current 8, I imagine people here would be upset.  If Gunnar = Franco, great, but other than that, there's nothing else definitive there other than B Lowe.  Many of these guys are still hopeful, but not useful pieces.

Nate Lowe has done really well in Texas.

An interesting thing to note is that four years later only four of those nine guys are still in the Rays organization. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

An interesting thing to note is that four years later only four of those nine guys are still in the Rays organization. 

Part of being a great org is knowing which of your prospects is being highly overrated and finding trade partners for them.  They could really use Nate Lowe in their lineup, but outside of that, they've done well. Fleeced the Red Sox getting Springs for Ronaldo Hernandez, Arozarena for Libertore looks good atm and Nick Anderson for Jesus Sanchez looks solid. Honeywell and McKay have just been devastated by injuries which makes makes that list much less impressive. They were both studs though. 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I'm listening to the BA podcast about the top 100 rankings.  Dalton Rushing's name came up quite a few times.  To cite why the LAD ranked as the best developmental org and guys who just missed the top 100.  There was no mention of Coby Mayo that I recall.

Dalton Rushing was the #40 overall pick in 2022.  He's a great prospect.  The fact that he's a C helps as well.  LAD started the 21 y/o at CPX and quickly moved him to A ball where is posted really good stats.  They are slightly better than what Mayo posted in A ball.  BUT Mayo was 19!  They are sleeping on Mayo...

Dalton Rushing - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

Coby Mayo - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

There’s a giant difference in being a C and being a 3B who may not even be able to stay there. That said, I really doubt there are 100 minor leaguers better than Mayo. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

4 - Wander Franco

23 - Brent Honeywell

47 - Brendan McKay

56 - Ronaldo Hernandez

58 - Matthew Liberatore

62 - Jesus Sanchez

64 - Vidal Brujan

93 - Brandon Lowe

97 - Nate Lowe

Injuries to two of the pitchers. To be expected. Then some trades that were good, and not so good. I think they were forced into some trades to get younger players due to 40 man roster crunch. 

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Part of being a great org is knowing which of your prospects is being highly overrated and finding trade partners for them.  They could really use Nate Lowe in their lineup, but outside of that, they've done well. Fleeced the Red Sox getting Springs for Ronaldo Hernandez, Arozarena for Libertore looks good atm and Nick Anderson for Jesus Sanchez looks solid. Honeywell and McKay have just been devastated by injuries which makes makes that list much less impressive. They were both studs though. 

Yep.  They didn't get much back for Lowe but have done well beyond that.  I think they look at the risk/reward profile for the guys they traded away.  Liberatore's best pitch is the CB, which is a riskier #1 pitch.  Sanchez doesn't have enough power to justify the K% and is limited defensively.