O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, the right question is how strong was his patellar tendon to begin with and was this an injury that was going to happen no matter what?  If Diaz had to jump out of the way after a smashed ball up the middle on Opening Day and lands awkwardly, does this happen?  There's no clear cut video of his injury, he was hopping up and down in a circle with his teammates, it was pretty innocent and there wasn't a lot of impact involved.  Does he still injure his knee if he's got to jump to take a throw at first base if he's covering a grounder hit to the first baseman?

I'm going to argue that the tendon in his knee wasn't strong enough to begin with and this was bound to happen.  It just so happened here in a tournament that you don't care about.

I've kinda landed wrong and twisted my knee a number of times as an old person.  I've done it while being much heavier than Diaz.  I've never needed surgery after.

I think odds are good that some pre-existing issue was at play.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, if you're a Mets fan.  

I'm over here like 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e74edddc554ff1cb26

I've read your posts over the past page or so and the phrase "...playing for a team that I don't care about..." has been used ad nauseam.  

To be clear, I don't care about the WBC either.  I don't typically watch it unless I happen to be flipping channels and there's a game on.  I might watch the championship game if it involves players that I like or if the USA is involved because 'Merica.  I think it's a bit contrived and doesn't carry any gravitas, although things typically gain more seriousness over the passage of time with rivalries, exciting historical moments, etc.  There's no good time of year to have something like the WBC but kudos to baseball for trying to broaden their viewership at an international level.  At least they recognize that they're far behind the NBA and the NFL and are trying to do something about it.

But I digress.  Back to your phrase you've beaten to a pulp...you're not taking the time to think about that it's not you that matters in the equation.  It's clear you don't care about players playing for their respective countries but it's obvious that the players care and, quite frankly, their opinions are the only ones that matter here.  Whining about how these guys are "playing for a team that I don't care about" doesn't do any good and it's trying to shine a spotlight on you when the reality is that you're not a factor.

It's clear that some of these guys take pride in their country and their heritage and want to represent that.  That should be commended.  If some guys don't want to play in the WBC, that's fine, too.  But if Mike Trout wants to suit up in a uniform with USA splashed across his chest, I'm not going to hold that against him.  Same for Cedric Mullins.

In regards to Diaz, the question here that no one is asking to win their anti-WBC argument doesn't have to do with something silly like practicing celebrations (seriously?) or "he could have hurt his leg in any old spring training game!"  

No, the right question is how strong was his patellar tendon to begin with and was this an injury that was going to happen no matter what?  If Diaz had to jump out of the way after a smashed ball up the middle on Opening Day and lands awkwardly, does this happen?  There's no clear cut video of his injury, he was hopping up and down in a circle with his teammates, it was pretty innocent and there wasn't a lot of impact involved.  Does he still injure his knee if he's got to jump to take a throw at first base if he's covering a grounder hit to the first baseman?

I'm going to argue that the tendon in his knee wasn't strong enough to begin with and this was bound to happen.  It just so happened here in a tournament that you don't care about.

I’m not saying we should cancel it or anything. And I am fully aware that my opinion doesn’t matter. I’m simply explaining why an injury in spring training is different for me than an injury in the WBC. That’s why I mention them playing for a team that I don’t care about. And I feel like it’s probably a similar feeling from team ownership and front office folks. I’m sure everyone in the Mets front office is probably pissed right now. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think front office folks are rational about these things and would treat it the same.

Owners?  Whatever...

I don’t know. If I worked all year with the hopes of winning a World Series, I’d be a little pissed off if our chances were severely diminished due to a player getting hurt in the WBC. 

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wasn't out of control but he's not the first guy to get injured in a routine celebration. When you have 10+ professional athletes jumping around there is some actual risk there.

Really stinks for them but I wonder if they'd want to do a massive overpay for Cionel Perez.

Would Zack B play for Buck again?  😉  He’s trying out at UC Irvine for a few scouts.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You also get guys that get hurt running to first base every year.

Ideally yea, you'd have a bunch of robots that would just calmly walk off the field after a big win.

I feel like the MLBPA could do some education here. Jumping around in a big pile, elbow slams (see Cody Bellinger), anything involving physical force probably not the smartest idea. Do not pound helmets or anything that might cause a head injury. Bat flips, cool handshakes, properly executed high fives are awesome! Also, when you get mad, punch something soft or use your bat. Do not punch a hard surface with your bare hands! You would think guys would understand this but apparently they need to be reminded.