Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

Elias/Hyde has asked their starter candidates to come to camp with starting in mind.  They say they has a dozen of them in camp.   But only 6 of them are serious candidates to begin the season in the rotation.  Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, Bradish, GRod and Wells.  

(Wells) has come to camp to win a starting role.  He has lost weight to improve is stamina.   He was the O's best starter in the first half last year.   Because he did relieve  in 2021 and there are 6 true possible starters many think he is the leading  candidate to begin the season in the pen.   But Wells does not believe this.

From the Suns:

Wells instead focusing on “putting myself in the best spot to help myself and help the team win.” But he believes that means being a starter.

“I don’t see it being anything else,” Wells said. “I think that I had really good success last year as a starter. Right now, that’s all my focus is on.”

That’s the approach manager Brandon Hyde wants every pitcher in the rotation mix to have, with executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias having noted the Orioles want to be careful about impacting any pitcher’s long-term starting potential to address a bullpen need for the 2023 team.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-bullpen-rotation-competition-dl-hall-tyler-wells-20230219-3sd2cwiunbfbrfnrctuncdbv3u-story.html

So don't count Wells as a bullpen piece just yet.  This will be one of the more interesting competitions to follow during ST.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Assuming health, I can't Imagine Bradish or Kremer starting the year in the bullpen.  Irvin and Gibson are locks.  Wells, IMO, only path to the rotation is if GRod starts the year in the minors, the bullpen, or if there is a 6-man rotation.  Otherwise, he needs an injury to one of the others.  There's always the potential that they pair Wells and GRod as one starting tandem.

• wildcard changed the title to Tyler Wells as a starter

Dan Connolly had Wells in his rotation and Bradish back to AAA for what it’s worth.  

The depth including Voth is why I thought they might have Grayson start in the pen but Elias is not really indicating that is an option. 

The biggest concern I have with the team is the starting pitching but it is nice to have some decent depth for once. Especially compared orioles recent years. I guess Wells starts in the pen but as others said let’s see how healthy we are. 

I'm glad he feels that way but I don't see how he's in the rotation.  Gibson, Irvin, G-Rod, Bradish and Kremer are all pretty much locks for spots.  

The only way I see him being in the rotation is if they decide that they're going to game G-Rod's clock (75% chance of this happening, IMO) or if someone is on the IL.  

This isn't a bad thing, it's nice for once to be able to have 5 guys in a rotation and a 6th guy who could easily lay claim to a rotation spot on the outside looking in.  This is a big step up from a rotation that consists of guys like Wojo, LeBlanc, Milone, Harvey, Lowther, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Dan Connolly had Wells in his rotation and Bradish back to AAA for what it’s worth.  

I'd be curious as to his reasoning for this.  Bradish finished strong last year, it looks like they were able to figure out his pitch mix and how to be successful without a great fastball.  I don't see how Bradish gets sent back to AAA this year unless it's on a rehab assignment. 

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be curious as to his reasoning for this.  Bradish finished strong last year, it looks like they were able to figure out his pitch mix and how to be successful without a great fastball.  I don't see how Bradish gets sent back to AAA this year unless it's on a rehab assignment. 

I agree with you. 

He basically said he was playing a hunch.  

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree with you. 

He basically said he was playing a hunch.  

It’s not totally crazy.  Wells had a 4.25 ERA last year, to Bradish’s 4.90.   But Bradish was on a strong upswing in the second half, while Wells was either injured or not that effective.   The fact that Wells was good out of the pen in 2021 also weighs in favor of putting him there rather than asking Bradish to assume a role he’s never tried, or sticking him in AAA when he’s already done pretty well in the majors for half a season.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I mean what are the odds that Gibson, Irvin, Grayson, Bradish, and Kremer are all healthy on OD? Wells would be next up if there’s an injury. He should prepare to be a SP. Hopefully, he won’t be. 

Why would Wells be ahead of Voth? Voth performed great and without any health issues.