2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Looking forward to when our backup catcher has the most starts at DH over anyone else on the team!

Is McCann really an upgrade offensively over McKenna?  I think having McKenna’s defense in RF, Santander at DH, and McKenna’s offense is better than McCann at DH. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But 119 vs. LHP.  Just gotta get him out of there if a RHP comes in during a close game.  (Not easy to do since he’s the backup C.)

Actually Hyde has been doing it pretty much at will, I think at least four times this season. All the lefties and versatility on the bench make it pretty easy. Pretty much any close game that matters they will pinch hit even if it forces Adley to catch on his off day. 

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Actually Hyde has been doing it pretty much at will, I think at least four times this season. All the lefties and versatility on the bench make it pretty easy. Pretty much any close game that matters they will pinch hit even if it forces Adley to catch on his off day. 

But when McCann is DH and you pinch hit in the middle of the game, you risk Adley getting hurt and not having a replacement.  Pretty remote, I realize.  

I would think if you're going to play McCann, let him catch and Adley DH just to you can save Adley from some wear and tear. 

Or maybe save one right handed batter (like McCann) you think would make a good pinch hitter if you need to play Chess against the other Manager later in the game when the opponent's starter is gone. (I guess McKenna is going to be that guy tonight instead.)

Who gets the 1st pinch hit? My money is on Frazier.

Edited by Billy F-Face3

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t understand why Santander is in the lineup let alone hitting 4th.

Because Hyde isn’t managing based on April stats.  Maybe he’s just showing Santander he still has confidence in him.
For what it’s worth, Santander has an .809 OPS vs. LHP this year.   He’s 6 for 22 with 4 doubles against Yarbrough in his career.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But when McCann is DH and you pinch hit in the middle of the game, you risk Adley getting hurt and not having a replacement.  Pretty remote, I realize.  

Yeah, there is some risk. I think the idea is you are probably losing the game if you don't PH, so if you end up with Frazier or OHearn back there you just lose worse a game that is already lost. The upside is you get the lead and have Adley in for defense.

43 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t understand why Santander is in the lineup let alone hitting 4th.

Because an entire season of leading the team in home runs outweighs a slow start to this season. As it should. 

Major league managers simply cannot be as impatient as fans. It doesn’t work that way, never has, and never will. Nor should it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Because an entire season of leading the team in home runs outweighs a slow start to this season. As it should. 

Major league managers simply cannot be as impatient as fans. It doesn’t work that way, never has, and never will. Nor should it. 

So no one should be complaining about Mountcastle either?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So no one should be complaining about Mountcastle either?

Not about him being in the lineup no. He’s not getting benched. It’s not happening. He’s an established veteran (as much as this team has any of those) with a very long leash. Our backup is a journeyman. Or Santander maybe, ironically. 

I like that we are maximizing the right on left matchups by, among other things, using McCann. It’s what TB would do. Get the most out of elthe bottom third of your position player roster. 

Moving Mullins down also is wise and is working so far.