Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think going 7 innings last night was huge for Grayson.  Even recently, he’s sometimes had a pretty precipitous loss of command as he pushed to try to complete 6 innings.  Now he’s proven to himself he can get through 7.   His greater ability to maintain his velocity in the later innings has been obvious since he returned from Norfolk, and now he’s learning how to navigate that third time through the lineup and the other things a pitcher has to do to get deep into games.  Here’s hoping it’s “liftoff from here,” baby!   

Baby steps.  Remember earlier in the  year, he struggled in the early/first inning, ran the pitch count high, etc..

Now, he’s throwing a lot of strikes, getting out of the first quickly, being pitch efficient..but with it, he’s not missing as many bats or getting Ks early..that is coming more and more as the outing goes on.

It’s like every outing is a build up and he is just holding back a little here and there.

As he keeps doing these little things, they ultimately will add up to much bigger deals. He’s about ready to take off. Unfortunately, he also may be shut down soon.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I was cursing the Padres announcers who were marveling at how hard he was still throwing in the 7th inning and then said he still hasn't had TJ surgery yet, and guys with that velo will need it.

You're kidding. They were actually commenting that he'll need TJ surgery? 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Baby steps.  Remember earlier in the  year, he struggled in the early/first inning, ran the pitch count high, etc..

Now, he’s throwing a lot of strikes, getting out of the first quickly, being pitch efficient..but with it, he’s not missing as many bats or getting Ks early..that is coming more and more as the outing goes on.

It’s like every outing is a build up and he is just holding back a little here and there.

As he keeps doing these little things, they ultimately will add up to much bigger deals. He’s about ready to take off. Unfortunately, he also may be shut down soon.

I thought it was just he went back to his pre-lat strain release point? Since he did that, he's been dominant. Before that had no command of anything. 

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

You're kidding. They were actually commenting that he'll need TJ surgery? 

They said guys that throw that hard need TJ surgery eventually, yeah. They remarked that he might be lucky and get it late in his career like Verlander or something dumb.

The only reason that I am not calling Gray Rod the Orioles Ace at this very time is because he has not been this successful for very long.  He has what 6 or 7 Starts since coming back from the minors this last time.  That is hardly enough data to define him Ace,  however it gets harder not to, every Start that goes by.   I hope that before the end of this season he convinces me to give him that Title.  

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Amazing how his mechanics and “psychological issues” were both resolved at the same time.   

No it isn't.  They got him calmed down enough to listen.  When he realized success from taking advice, he calmed down.  I bet when he got to Norfolk there was a real 'come to Jesus' session.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

He is up to 134.1 IP. I said before the season I thought he could go 140ish and maybe get to 150. Most thought that was too many.

But he looks to be blowing past that.

He is throwing hard still, so he’s not tiring as of yet, at least by velo. His numbers suggest his mechanics aren’t suffering either.

But how far do they let this go and does the Bautista injury scare them at all here?

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is up to 134.1 IP. I said before the season I thought he could go 140ish and maybe get to 150. Most thought that was too many.

But he looks to be blowing past that.

He is throwing hard still, so he’s not tiring as of yet, at least by velo. His numbers suggest his mechanics aren’t suffering either.

But how far do they let this go and does the Bautista injury scare them at all here?

The six man rotation is the concession to that.  They might skip him once, twice if they can afford it, but that will be it.  That should keep him under 160 in the regular season.

Then you let him pitch in the postseason as much as he can.

27 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The six man rotation is the concession to that.  They might skip him once, twice if they can afford it, but that will be it.  That should keep him under 160 in the regular season.

Then you let him pitch in the postseason as much as he can.

For conversation sake let’s assume they stay on 6 man rotation with no injuries and rainouts. 

Grod would pitch 

Mon - Sept 4 @LAA

Mon -Sept 11 STL 

Sun -Sept 17 TB

Sat - Sept 23 @CLE

Sat -Sept 30 BOS

Perhaps they can in a position to skip him vs CLE and then maybe a short outing vs BOS? Maybe 18 innings first 3 games and 4 vs Boston. That’s 156. 

• Upvote 1