WBC 2023

Just Regular

Nice Will Smith homer.   

It hit me also as a good example execution of the coaching guys find themselves and/or get from their Clubs to optimize their launch angles, now unfolding with Norby and Cowser for me especially in our org.

Fangraphs Longenhagen I heard in podcast recently reflecting on Smith's development and how his swing now is just plain different than it was at Louisville.

Smith hit 9 HR in 400 PA in the ACC.    He slugged about .425 across 350 PA in the California League.    And has slugged about .500 across 1400 PA in MLB.

On 3/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, Orioles4Life21 said:

Very. Everything with Cuba is political.

Not really their fault when it comes to the WBC, in my opinion.  What are they going to do, play a bunch of guys who fled the country?   

Honestly, the WBC is fun, but the criteria for who can play for a country are a joke.   Matt Harvey playing for Italy?  

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really their fault when it comes to the WBC, in my opinion.  What are they going to do, play a bunch of guys who fled the country?   

Honestly, the WBC is fun, but the criteria for who can play for a country are a joke.   Matt Harvey playing for Italy?  

They are playing a bunch of guys who fled the country though. For the very first time they invited certain guys back. Others weren’t invited for various reason or, like Cionel Perez, wouldn’t accept an offer back even if they got one. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was listening to MLB Network this evening and heard the story.  So cool.  To me that is one of the cool parts of WBC.  A Czech electrician striking out MLBers, a marketing executive managing GB, and a 21 y/o Nicaraguan getting a contract he otherwise might not have.  Good stuff.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Great Britain beat Columbia and could theoretically advance.

That could be problematic, their jerseys seem like they were intended for one-time use only; if they have to wash those things they may well fall apart and then they'll just have to get some white t-shirts and a magic marker to write GB on them. 

Screenshot-345.png?w=1000&h=570&crop=1

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Haha 1

Pool C tiebreak scenarios:

Mexico beats Canada, USA beats Colombia:

-- Mexico and US advance (Mexico is #1 based on head to head tiebreak)

Canada beats Mexico, USA beats Colombia:

-- Canada and US advance (US is #1 based on head to head tiebreak)

Canada beats Mexico, Colombia beats USA

-- Canada and Colombia advance (Canada is #1 at 3-1, Colombia wins 3 way tiebreak at 2-2 because they beat US and Mexico)

Mexico beats Canada, Colombia beats USA

-- Mexico advances as #1 at 3-1.   There is a 3-way tie at 2-2 between Canada, USA, and Colombia.   Head to head doesn't solve it because they all went 1-1 against each other.   Next tiebreak is runs allowed per out in games among the 3 tied teams.

Right now:

•    Canada is done with 12 runs / 45 outs = 0.267
  •    Colombia so far 5 runs in 27 outs
  •    USA so far 1 run in 21 outs

So in this scenario, which assumes we lose to Colombia, to get the tiebreaker we need to:

-- Stay ahead of Canada, which means allowing < 11 runs in 24 outs (Colombia is the home team so they probably wouldn't bat in the bottom of the 9th)

-- Stay ahead of Colombia in this stat, which basically means they beat us by 3 or less.   Could set up an interesting scenario if the game was tied in the 9th inning or later and the bases get loaded.   Do you just walk in the winning run and lose by 1 and advance, or pitch to the guy and risk a grand slam and elimination?   Similar strategy if down 4 in the top of the 9th inning... play for one run, sacrifice bunt, etc?   While Colombia might bring the infield in with a man on 3rd and a 4 run lead to cut the all important run down at the plate.

• Thanks 1