Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

7 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Adley didn't look comfortable at all while Adam was trying to ask the question and when answering.

Elias has built a culture of keeping business negotiations and talks behind closed doors. They are secret, and that's the way he likes it. It makes sense that Adley would be uncomfortable discussing anything close to the topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 10:42 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Elias has built a culture of keeping business negotiations and talks behind closed doors. They are secret, and that's the way he likes it. It makes sense that Adley would be uncomfortable discussing anything close to the topic.

Wonder if it's partly because the O's offered him a way under market deal.  Extension is getting more expensive all the time.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That SLG took a big jump last night after the two doubles. IMO, needs to hit for a little more power if he wants to bring that award home this year. 

It’s totally possible if he keeps that slash line up and the team keeps winning. 

Ohtani should be about impossible to beat.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohtani should be about impossible to beat.

Maybe. 

I think if someone comes within .3 WAR or so they can win it from him. His FIP is higher than his ERA so maybe that ERA comes back to earth a little bit. 

IMO, depends on what the Angels do. If they’re winners this year he has a chance. But I don’t think some voters would want to give it to him again if the Angels are under .500. 

He’s like Michael Jordan. He’s deserving every year but voter fatigue is real. Voter fatigue, IMO, for a guy on a perennial loser is also real. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Adley has had a bit of a power outage. Slugging under .400 in his last 30 games. I sure hope they don’t run him into the ground. 

Hasn’t hit a homer since April 13 and only 5 doubles all year. He has tremendous power but it’s not showing up in the majors yet.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hasn’t hit a homer since April 13 and only 5 doubles all year. He has tremendous power but it’s not showing up in the majors yet.

Does he really have tremendous power though?   Potentially, maybe but in reality let’s take a look.  In college he hit 9 homers his sophomore year.  His big junior year consisted of 10 doubles and 17 homers, hardly tremendous for college.   In 55 games in AAA, he had 9 doubles and 8 homers.  Solid but hardly tremendous.   The one instance he showed tremendous power were 80 games in AA with 18 doubles and 18 homers in 83 games.  

Also, when you look at his average and max exit velocities on Baseball Savant they really show a hitter with average power that probably plays up because of his great approach.   

• Upvote 1

I think they need to give him a break.  @wildcardmight get his pre-season wish of having Adley play in all 162 but I can't imagine that's a good thing for a catcher, even if he's DHing some.

And I don't want to hear that an scheduled off-day is just as good.  You can't start him on the bench with the intention of giving him an off-day and then have him come in the 6th inning to pinch hit and then catch the rest of the game, that's not good enough.  I get how valuable he is and that he can be a good option to pinch hit off the bench...but man, even Gary Carter got some days off in '85 and '86.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think they need to give him a break.  @wildcardmight get his pre-season wish of having Adley play in all 162 but I can't imagine that's a good thing for a catcher, even if he's DHing some.

And I don't want to hear that an scheduled off-day is just as good.  You can't start him on the bench with the intention of giving him an off-day and then have him come in the 6th inning to pinch hit and then catch the rest of the game, that's not good enough.  I get how valuable he is and that he can be a good option to pinch hit off the bench...but man, even Gary Carter got some days off in '85 and '86.  

Correct. He should not be DH'ing so much that we need a 3rd catcher on the roster.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, if they're gonna carry a 3rd catcher...****in use the third catcher, give Adley a day off.  

I don’t have a huge problem with how Adley’s been used this year.  He’s on pace to start 111 games at catcher this year.   That’s a bit lighter than his usage last year after his call-up, and mitigates the fact that he plays DH almost every game where he doesn’t catch and has been called into the two games where he didn’t start.  He’s only 7th in innings caught among major league backstops.  He does have the most PA and total games played of anyone whose primary position is catcher.   

I do agree, though, that if you’re going to use Adley that way, having a 3rd catcher is a waste of a roster spot.  

For that matter, I’ve been a bit surprised how much McCann is playing when he’s not catching.  Factoring in the 8 games where he was on the IL, he’s on pace to play about 88 games and get about 281 PA.  He’s on pace to start about 28 games at DH.  I guess the O’s weren’t BSing when they reportedly told him they expected he’d get into about 80 games.  

• Upvote 1