Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

10 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Thanks for posting this - I never watch but if they are doing more like this that’s pretty great. Does anyone have the link to the Sun article?

Here it is, but it's behind a pay wall though...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-jorge-mateo-new-swing-20230427-xtrdq4gm5vdbzilmeu6e7dj3aq-story.html

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Just to be clear, I prefer Ortiz at 2B on this team over Frazier, only because Mateo is at SS. He's a legitimate major league defensive SS in his own right.

As for who has more value, it depends on what the team's need are that are looking to acquire one of them. Ortiz is the best defender by far and while his bat may be close to Westburg, I give Westburg's bat the edge because of his power potential. Norby is in a bit of a funk right now, but I do think his bat will play in the major leagues when it's all said and done. Unfortunately, his defense at 2B, while not terrible, is below average. 

If a team wants an all-around SS, Ortiz is your guy. If a team is looking for a bat first infielder who can play all three infield positions (and probably 1B with a little experience) then Westburg is your guy. Norby to me is a step under the other two because of his defensive concerns.

Thank you for lending the insight!

Mateo suddenly has not looked good at the plate the last 3 days.  Ben McDonald mentioned that he’s started pulling off the ball on breaking pitches.   Hopefully just a blip that he will correct quickly. 

Please leave him at the 9 spot focused on getting on base and driving pitchers crazy, not home runs. Don't change his mindset before it is cemented in place. He had a long development period being successful but undisciplined until it didn't work in the show. He worked hard last year and off season to change that. Let him settle in his new style.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:23 PM, Frobby said:

Mateo suddenly has not looked good at the plate the last 3 days.  Ben McDonald mentioned that he’s started pulling off the ball on breaking pitches.   Hopefully just a blip that he will correct quickly. 

I don't trust Mateo. I'd love for him to become a legit star for the O's, but I fear he's going to regress to the .650 - .700 OPS player he's been throughout his career. He's looked like the "old" Mateo at the plate the past few days.

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1

I too am getting worried as the poor hitting, swinging at bad pitches, and not being patient Mateo seems to be coming back.   His average has dropped from .361 to .307 in 7 games,  with his last seven games having a .185 average, .241 OBP and .407 slug.  Those are very troubling numbers.

Edited by forphase1
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

WOW. The man can't have a bad week after having a stellar 4 weeks. Is that a realistic bar to set for any player?

Did anybody expect him to hit .350 for the year? Will anyone in the sport do that this year?

Arraez is hitting .421.  If anyone can do it, it would be him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Arraez is hitting .421.  If anyone can do it, it would be him. 

He’s never come close to hitting .400 before, so that would definitely be a career year for him and the first this century. Has any baseball player hit .400 since the great Ted Williams?