Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He. Keeps. Hitting.

3/3 tonight with his 2nd HR.  O's might have #1 prospect again going into 2025....

Make that 4/4.  Add a double...

He played 51 Games at C in Delmarva, 21 at 1B, and 9 at DH.  So far in Aberdeen he's played 6 at C, 4 at 1B, & 3 at DH.  Slightly different deployment so far.  

Edited by emmett16

He keeps hitting. He's probably the 2nd best prospect in the organization right now. He is 19. Once you start getting up to the mid 20s or so, guys sort of become a case of they are what they are. Don't know how much more development you can start squeezing out of guys who are 24 or 25 in the minors. At that point whatever development they have left must be done at the MLB level. Sort of get the feeling that guys like Ortiz, Kjerstad, Cowser are reaching the point in their baseball lives where it's time to put up or shut up. It's just the natural life cycle of a ballplayer's career. Eventually you arrive at the end of your development. Basallo has upside like crazy.

112 MPH EV!  The average 'elite' college hitter (with a wood bat) has an EV of 90 MPH (most are 80-85).  I bet that would be a top 10ish EV for the O's this year. 

@emmett16 - another #1 is definitely a possibility!  

I like the Aberdeen positional splits.  It would be cool to see him as the primary back-up at C with Adley, then play a chunk of games at 1B when not catching.  We've seen teams like Toronto and Atlanta use good hitting catchers as an roster advantage, but mostly at DH.  We could stretch that roster depth advantage to 1B.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

112 MPH EV!  The average 'elite' college hitter (with a wood bat) has an EV of 90 MPH (most are 80-85).  I bet that would be a top 10ish EV for the O's this year. 

I think you are mixing max EV with average EV.  I guarantee you elite college hitters have max EV’s far exceeding 90 mph.  

However, not many hitters reach 112 mph even on their best day.  On the O’s, only Henderson (113.8), Mountcastle (113.1), Santander (113.0), Mateo (112.4) and McCann (112.1) have topped 112 this year.  (Note that the highest average EV on the Orioles is 92.3.)  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast?type=batter&year=2023&position=&team=110&min=25&sort=6&sortDir=desc

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you are mixing max EV with average EV.  I guarantee you elite college hitters have max EV’s far exceeding 90 mph.  

However, not many hitters reach 112 mph even on their best day.  On the O’s, only Henderson (113.8), Mountcastle (113.1), Santander (113.0), Mateo (112.4) and McCann (112.1) have topped 112 this year.  (Note that the highest average EV on the Orioles is 92.3.)  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast?type=batter&year=2023&position=&team=110&min=25&sort=6&sortDir=desc

Correct.  I intentionally mixed max and avg EV to provide context of normal for a 19 y/o.  112 isn't normal, even for a MLBer.

36 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I like the Aberdeen positional splits.  It would be cool to see him as the primary back-up at C with Adley, then play a chunk of games at 1B when not catching.  We've seen teams like Toronto and Atlanta use good hitting catchers as a roster advantage, but mostly at DH.  We could stretch that roster depth advantage to 1B.

He won’t be #1 unless something drastic happens to Salas. I would argue that Salas should be over Holliday right now. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I like the Aberdeen positional splits.  It would be cool to see him as the primary back-up at C with Adley, then play a chunk of games at 1B when not catching.  We've seen teams like Toronto and Atlanta use good hitting catchers as an roster advantage, but mostly at DH.  We could stretch that roster depth advantage to 1B.

Would you rather have Basallo or Salas?  Salas is almost two years younger.

I saw you posted as I was posting, I figured you'd beat me to the Salas reference as I was checking stats.

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Basallo, no brainer. The big hub hub around Salas is that hes 17. His actual production is entirely mediocre. I know, hes 17 so the upside is out of this world, but I like to combine upside and production.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Basallo, no brainer. The big hub hub around Salas is that hes 17. His actual production is entirely mediocre. I know, hes 17 so the upside is out of this world, but I like to combine upside and production.

My /ignore list is filling up with your various alts.

Can you just stop creating them the next time you get banned for violating board rules?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I honestly think it's pretty close for who I'd rather have.  Salas is a legit prospect too (and as @Sports Guysaid, a likelihood for #1).  Build-wise, Salas looks like he's a C (even if that could change as he grows).  In other words, some of Salas' value is positional.  But I'm less concerned about sticking at C (though it's a nice luxury).  Both have immense power upside.  Basallo's BB% and K% is strong.  I suspect Basallo gets a healthy bump in the offseason re-evaluations.  Partially because Basallo has answered some hit tool questions this year but he's been solid C behind the plate this year too.