Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The over dramatic SSS arguments, whether good or bad, are easily the worst discussions on this board. (Unless you want to count the game threads)

How large is the sample size of Henderson hitting well at the major league level?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

How large is the sample size of Henderson hitting well at the major league level?

Not much of one at all but that’s obviously not why he’s here. Most rookies don’t have much of a SSS to work off of. Of course, you know this(well I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that you know it)

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

not huge but he did have over 100 PA in 2022.    Maybe let's at least wait until he crosses that plateau before we freak out?

The difference between his PA (63) and his AB (48) is kind of funny. Honestly, anyone with a .365 OBP I'm going to keep running out there for as long as he maintains it. 

I'm like 1,000% more concerned about his throwing errors than I am about his bat right now. And I'm not that concerned about his throwing errors. 

14 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

So the solution, to you, for him to learn to hit Major League pitchers... is to send him down to AAA, where he had an 894 OPS last year, to face AAA pitchers.

Oooookay.

In his 295 PA's in AAA he had 38 BB's (12% BB Rate) and a 26% K Rate

This season his BB Rate is almost double that (22%) and his K Rate has also significantly increased (35%)

Even though he was successful at AAA last season, his approach at the plate is clearly not the same as it was last season. I don't thing facing AAA pitchers vs MLB pitchers is the difference. If it was, he would have done better in spring training games.

Edited by DirtyBird

There is nothing for Gunnar to prove at the AAA level. He was the #1 or #2 consensus ranked prospect coming into the season. But even most uber talented Minor leaguers take a little time adjusting to the Major leagues these days. Even Adley, Witt, and JRod needed time to adjust last year. And Volpe is struggling right along with Gunnar this year.

This is the 3rd week of the season and we are 17 games in. If he is still making the same mistakes and hasn't adjusted his plate approach by June, then yeah, we might need to look at this as a problem. 

But as for now, let the kid focus on what adjustments he needs to make to be successful at this level of competition. Mainly, being more aggressive at attacking pitches in the zone. He has allowed WAY TOO many hittable pitches to pass him by being too patient. Once he makes that adjustment, he will be fine. The talent is all there.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So far the Orioles are 10-7 while Henderson goes through these struggles so I'm ok with being patient. 

The good news offensively is he's hitting fastballs just fine putting up a .452 (elite) WOBA against them. The bad news is he hasn't gotten a hit this season of anything but fastballs going 0-for-23 with 14 Ks. Another thing of concern is his two strike approach so far this season. He's 0-for-26 with 22 Ks with two strikes. 

So those are concerning numbers to some extent since a hitter can't be successful long-term with the inability to hit offspeed. Henderson has been able to be somewhat productive because of his ability to hit those fastballs and his eye at the plate that allows him to lay off the junk. 

The one thing I think Gunnar needs to go back to trying to hit the other way for awhile. They've been getting him down and in especially with two strikes, but they've been getting ahead of him pitching him away a lot and he hasn't been able to make them pay often by taking that outside pitch to left field.

Either way, while he does have some concerning stats against non-fastballs and with two strikes, his ability to get on base has allowed him to bring some value even during these struggles.

Saying all that, I think he gets until Mid-May to correct this stuff before the Orioles will potentially do anything, and only then if the Orioles are scuffling. I still have confidence he can make the adjustments.

Those breaking pitch and 2-strike count stats you cited are extreme and clearly show the problems. It's good to have such a concise picture of what needs to be improved.

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He finished 2022 6-42, and was 8-37 in spring training, and now 8-48

This is factual.  But almost no one would argue that 8-48 now is grounds to send him down.  Most certainly not for Westbrook who would very possibly have the same adjustment period.  I could trot out Adley's first 50 abs from last year cause they were not great either...

But your factual point stands.  The issue is at what point can you not wait for it to change.  And giving you the benefit of the doubt for your opinion, I think April 19 is simply way too soon.

Personally, I am more concerned with his defense.  I just think he needs to settle down because I think he is better than that.  His offensive rise was almost meteoric so this isn't really surprising.  And in fairness, I think most of us are concerned.  But you don't take this kid and send him down in April.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's going to be fine long-term and considering the Orioles are 10-7 with his struggling a bit, it makes me feel good that once he gets hot he could be a real monster at the plate.

And REALLY should be 11-6 right now. Looking at you Ryan McKenna. 

I kid I kid.. kinda 

• Upvote 1