Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

33 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He had given up 1 run in his last 7 innings of work if that is pummeled i dont know what you expect.   I have no idea where people are getting how he has been getting crushed for awhile.  Since the All star break he has 6 IP 6 hits 0BB 4 k's and 1 R.    He was never going to keep up that pace he started with but for the most part he has been solid 

He has gallowed a bunch of inherited runners to score and his OPS for July is pretty bad. Overall I agree he has been more average than crushed.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has gallowed a bunch of inherited runners to score and his OPS for July is pretty bad. Overall I agree he has been more average than crushed.

Pretty much this. The real issue is that we’re always seemingly in close games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, watching the condensed game the pitch to Stott was not a hanging changeup but a 97 mph sinker that he turned on.  Not as bad of a pitch as  first thought.   Harper drove a 91 mph changeup knee high on the outside corner to LF.   Cano wasn’t awful last night.   Fuji looked dominant.  If that’s Fuji going forward that’s a pretty good threesome.

Fuji was at 21 pitches, I say we should have brought him back out for the 9th

22 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Fuji was at 21 pitches, I say we should have brought him back out for the 9th

Maybe and I do think Cano’s biggest weakness is against LH hitters so the inning wasn’t the best setup for him.  I’m just happy Fuji had such a good appearance, probably feels very confident now, and has something to build on.   His outing was the best thing that happened last night.  He looked GREAT.

Cano is becoming over exposed. He's at 49 innings which is close to the most he's ever pitched in his career, (2021: 51 AAA innings). He needs to be used less in the next couple weeks. They need to add another RP who can reliably pitched the 8th and occassionally close when Felix is not available. Cano is useful and can be used in other situations effectively. He's just not getting it done in his current role. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

He had given up 1 run in his last 7 innings of work if that is pummeled i dont know what you expect.   I have no idea where people are getting how he has been getting crushed for awhile.  Since the All star break he has 6 IP 6 hits 0BB 4 k's and 1 R.    He was never going to keep up that pace he started with but for the most part he has been solid 

His July ERA is 4.50. In 10.0 IP this month he's given up 14 hits and 18 flyballs. I don't have the inherited runner stats in front of me but those 5 ERs only show what he has been charged. 

He's been getting hit very hard since the Cincinnati series. Pummeled is the right word for it, yes. His 23.1 IR-A% is still better than league average but it's jumped a bunch of late. 

I think he's overworked. I've been stating that for weeks now. The pen needs at least one more reliable arm. That doesn't change the fact that he's been getting pounded around a bit recently though. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Spakman said:

The guy has not pitched well in quite a while yet he still stares down the one hitter he strikes out. I don’t mind celebration that’s just bush league. When he was getting everyone out, I absolutely hated that.

While I'm not a huge fan of any kind of stare down, when you are dominating and he pumps every one else, great. But when your struggling and you get one guy on K and do it, It's a bit embarrassing to tell you the truth.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, banks703 said:

His July ERA is 4.50. In 10.0 IP this month he's given up 14 hits and 18 flyballs. I don't have the inherited runner stats in front of me but those 5 ERs only show what he has been charged. 

He's been getting hit very hard since the Cincinnati series. Pummeled is the right word for it, yes. His 23.1 IR-A% is still better than league average but it's jumped a bunch of late. 

I think he's overworked. I've been stating that for weeks now. The pen needs at least one more reliable arm. That doesn't change the fact that he's been getting pounded around a bit recently though. 

After last night and 4 hits in 2/3 an inning.  He had given up 10 hits in 9.1 innings and 0 walks so a whip of 1.07 which is still very good.  He wasn't great last night but Mateo play makes it look worse with what should have been ruled an error in my opinion.  That is a play that should be made and a double clutch is the same as a bad throw imo.  1 inning 2 hits looks a lot better then 2/3 of an inning and 4 hits.  

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, watching the condensed game the pitch to Stott was not a hanging changeup but a 97 mph sinker that he turned on.  Not as bad of a pitch as  first thought.   Harper drove a 91 mph changeup knee high on the outside corner to LF.   Cano wasn’t awful last night.   Fuji looked dominant.  If that’s Fuji going forward that’s a pretty good threesome.

I thought Cano pitched pretty well.  He threw the ball at the mitt, he got squeezed on some pitches by the ump, and he just barely missed on a couple others.  His command was still there.

I think he needs to mix up his pitches a little better though.  Harper, just unfortunate, he got down 2-0 after throwing him a perfect pitch that should have been a strike, then throws him another almost perfect pitch and Harper slaps it to left.  Stott, I think he got a little predictible with his pitch sequencing.  He needs to throw his splitter and slider early in the count.  It looks like they're sitting fastball early and they're good enough to make decent contact.

I want someone to explain why Cano has stopped throwing his changeup.  He generates an elite 23% swinging strike rate on it (5% on sinker), and he almost shelved it for stretches in June.  He's throwing it a bit more now, but nowhere near the 40-50% of the time when he was going good in the early part of the season.

He's almost gotten obsessive about not issuing walks.  If throwing the change for a few more balls is the price to pay for some more swing and miss, I'm all for it.

Crazy that he went a 50 pitch stretch in June where he probably only threw 2 or 3 changeups.

image.thumb.png.3f7522794c1f6149ad91f92163f8a28f.png

• Upvote 2

He obviously was never going to be able to sustain his early season magic, but he seems very hittable right now, and much less suited for high leverage situations with runners on base.  I'm thinking the acquisition of Fuji had a lot to do with his struggles over the last couple of months.  

• Upvote 1

Did Cano just debut a new pitch tonight? He threw 5 pitches that Statcast categorized as 4-seam fastballs. He previously had only 6 all season (likely miscategorized sinkers then). Higher spin rate and 12 inches less vertical break than his sinker. Great results too - 3 swings, 2 whiffs (2 of the K’s), 2 called strikes. 

He was pitching up in the zone with it and it had noticeably less movement than his sinker. That could be quite a weapon for him to be able to change eye levels on hitters. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/29/2023 at 10:55 AM, BRobinsonfan said:

He obviously was never going to be able to sustain his early season magic, but he seems very hittable right now, and much less suited for high leverage situations with runners on base.  I'm thinking the acquisition of Fuji had a lot to do with his struggles over the last couple of months.  

I obviously have the power of the reverse jinx.  I post the above on Saturday and then Sunday Cano dominates with 3 KOs for a perfect inning.  You're welcome!  🤣

10 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Right time to try a new pitch too, with a 6 run lead. Wonder if that even contributed to them wanting to get him some work in a blowout. Based on the results tonight we should definitely be seeing more of it. 

100% agree with this. He pitched completely differently last night and they had him warming up early in the game. I think they wanted to give him game action to try out some things. He only threw 2 sinkers and 1 changeup. 5 four seam fastballs and 9(!!) sliders. If he can keep that four seam up (and out) of the zone consistently it would definitely keep hitters from sitting on the sinker.