Is it just a bad game or does Mountcastle actually suck as a firstbase?

Gurgi

The term short hop can be misleading. There are short, medium and long hops. Short and long are the most easily playable IMO. Medium are the toughest and can handcuff you. Then you can get in "hops" online and to the right and left of the 1st baseman. I thought Mateo's was the most catchable, but it was still a 90+ throw in the dirt.

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He is one unlucky dude though.  He lined out to the RF in the first.  Lined out to the LF and sent the RF with his back to the wall in right on a fly.  3 outs.  No payoff.

Agree, the bad luck can't/won't hold. He has more than 1 Mancini 2019 years in him IMHO, let this be the first, PLEASE.

I’m going to comment without reading the entire children’s banter. 
Mountcastle is average at best at first. Reynolds was ok at first but he made every play look spectacular as opposed to great players who make everything look easy. Davis was actually pretty good at first. A great first basemen has all of those throws and we never think twice. That said, Mountcastle is decent enough to get leeway for yesterdays game and move on. I doubt it becomes a perpetual issue.