O's offense, one of the best in baseball

OriolesMagic83

This team has a great ability to come back.  One stat I believe McDonald said was that the O's have come back in 6 of the last 7 games.  The O's are 2nd in runs, 3rd in OBP, 4th in SLG and 3rd in OPS.  I expect those ratings to drop as the O's face tougher pitching like the Yankees and Rays.  The O's should stay in the top 10 for offense, imo.  Key point is the O's not having automatic outs in the lineup (well Gunnar, but it's early).  Mateo and Frazier just being average hitters would be a huge boost. 

• Upvote 1

We’ve faced some bad pitching the last week other than Cease, who wasn’t on his A game. 

With that said, I believe that our offense is legit. If/when Gunnar and Santander wake up, even as other guys cool down; we can probably sustain a very good offense.

Now the pitching…. That’s another story. We only have 2 quality starts out of 16 games. We cannot sustain success at that rate no matter how good the offense is.

The scary thing is Gunnar and Santander haven't gotten going yet. Mountcastle has actually been pretty bad aside from the one huge game.

I love that we have at least a couple consistent good AB/high OBP guys now. That's how you get big innings and break games open. 

Still, feels like we can't keep playing from behind. Would be nice if the pitchers could step up once in a while or we will be stuck on .500.

They've looked great against one of the worst pitching staffs I've ever seen (OAK) and a team that right now has the worst bullpen in baseball (CWS).  They won't look so good against the TBR, NYY and TOR pitching.

Still, certainly nice to see a good offensive performance so far.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The scary thing is Gunnar and Santander haven't gotten going yet. Mountcastle has actually been pretty bad aside from the one huge game.

I love that we have at least a couple consistent good AB/high OBP guys now. That's how you get big innings and break games open. 

Still, feels like we can't keep playing from behind. Would be nice if the pitchers could step up once in a while or we will be stuck on .500.

Yes the guy who is leading the league in RBI despite having terrible luck on his batted balls has been pretty bad.

Yep, he sure was bad today when his teammate's bad play cost him a hit.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Mountcastle has been hitting the ball hard this year.  Not as much swing and miss as last year, either.  He is having that bad luck on barreled balls again this year.  I'm not worried about him.   Those hits will come - and those fly balls will start to leave the yard as temperatures rise. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This team has a great ability to come back.  One stat I believe McDonald said was that the O's have come back in 6 of the last 7 games.  The O's are 2nd in runs, 3rd in OBP, 4th in SLG and 3rd in OPS.  I expect those ratings to drop as the O's face tougher pitching like the Yankees and Rays.  The O's should stay in the top 10 for offense, imo.  Key point is the O's not having automatic outs in the lineup (well Gunnar, but it's early).  Mateo and Frazier just being average hitters would be a huge boost. 

Gunnar has a .373 OBP. The fact you call him an automatic out invalidates your credibility and whatever point(s) you're trying to make.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Gunnar has a .373 OBP. The fact you call him an automatic out invalidates your credibility and whatever point(s) you're trying to make.

I’d point to Ryan Mountcastle and his .243 OBP if we are talking about automatic outs.

But that doesn’t tell the whole story. The offense has been very good overall. 

14 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Thanks, I didn't realize his OBP was that good.  Just needs to get some more hits to fall.  I don't think it invalidates all my points, but I assume you like to paint everything with a broad brush to belittle other people.