Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The lefties looked like they had no chance v Akin today. I thought the two IBB made sense. Risky yes, but confident in Akin vs those hitters and it paid off. 

I would have walked the first guy, but not the 2nd.   Loading the bases in a tie game puts so much pressure on your pitcher.

I think he managed it extremely well today.  I know people wanted Baumann to go two innings but when you are starting a series vs divisional rival you want everyone available in the pen to start the series so he only wanted to get 1 inning out of him.  The only questionable move imo was going to Perez after Baker had one guy on in the 8th.  I would have left Baker in there but with 3 of next 4 guys batting left handed and Perez getting lefties out while struggling vs right handers that probably where you want to use him which is also why he went Baker in 7th and wanted to have Perez set up for that part of order either to get out in 7th and start the 8th.  10 years ago and before the 3 batter rule you had 7th inning guy, 8th inning guy and closer now managers and data shows it best to have guys set up for parts of the order more so then what inning it is.  The Voth decision was pretty much easy decision as Bautista would never been able to get ready and come into the game at that spot as only 4 pitches were thrown in 8th before Voth came in.  Voth was already warming in bottom of 7th so he is guy your going to.  The biggest thing people complain about on here is bullpen managing but they live in fantasy land and always want to use up the best relievers 100 games a year and think you can get a guy ready in like 3 minutes if things go south and that everyone should be ready at any point.  Frazier move was a very good move as he is faster but also a great runner and anticipates well which helped in the 10th.

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would have walked the first guy, but not the 2nd.   Loading the bases in a tie game puts so much pressure on your pitcher.

Agreed but it set up lefty lefty and Maton is hitting .130 and was 0 for his last 24.  As long as Akin threw strikes it was a perfect matchup for him.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

This may not go anywhere as it is more fun to second guess and it seems so for Hyde in particular, but it's only fair we have a thread to talk about what he does right.

I think Hyde can get a bad rap here because in the big picture, I think that these in-game decisions matter relatively little, and his primary job is to manage the egos and keep the players motivated and focused over the course of a season. He did it well last year, and while there were some rough spots early this year, I can't complain about the results after 21 games.

I too like how Cano and Baumann have been given chances in big spots.

• Upvote 1

I hated the move from Baker to Perez.  You had 3 of your best relievers (Baker/Baumann/Bautista) to cover 4 innings.  Forget matchups.  Baker had just struck out Badoo.  Perez face 3 hitters and all 3 barreled him.  If I'm going to lose I want to lose with my best, not someone who's scuffling as much as Perez is right now.

We were very lucky today.  The Tigers hit the ball hard all day, right at our fielders.

• Upvote 2

I think Brandon Hyde and his coaching staff deserve major praise today. They pushed all the right buttons and the players they chose executed their strategy for the win.

Everything from pinch hitting Santader, Masolino waiving Mateo around 3rd base, to intentional walks because he trusts Akin against lefties, and the substitutions to execute the sacrifice bunt that ultimately won the game.

I think our coaching staff and Manager is doing a great job an deserve lots of credit!

• Upvote 2

The 2 IBB in the 10th, were they to create force out situations or to avoid certain batters? I thought the one to load the bases with 2 outs was odd, TBH.

I was working and I wasn't paying much attention to the details of the game. I even missed the game winner, had to rewind to see it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We were very lucky today.  The Tigers hit the ball hard all day, right at our fielders.

Schoop hit the ball on the screws all four times.  The xBAs on his four hits were .450, .560, .720, .730. Two hit 107 mph, another 102.   He only got one single out of it, ironically on the ball he hit 91 mpg.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

The 2 IBB in the 10th, were they to create force out situations or to avoid certain batters? I thought the one to load the bases with 2 outs was odd, TBH.

I was working and I wasn't paying much attention to the details of the game. I even missed the game winner, had to rewind to see it.

I think a little of both, but primarily to load the bases.

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

More than avoiding certain batters, one cd say it was to get to face the terribly slumping Maton for the most likely, crucial out.

8 minutes ago, LA2 said:

More than avoiding certain batters, one cd say it was to get to face the terribly slumping Maton for the most likely, crucial out.

Yeah with Maton on the on deck circle in a key spot you have to walk Torkelson to make the guy hitting .130 for the season and 0-24 in last 25 at bats with 1 walk beat you.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

I thought they won in spite of Hyde today, TBH. He made a lot of questionable decisions that were close to backfiring, like pulling Baumann for no reason 

As I said in the game thread, Hyde was managing for not only this game but also to have everyone available for the upcoming series against Boston.  If he let Baumann go 2 innings he isn’t available a day or two.  All 7 guys will be available for upcoming series and no one has pitched more then 1 inning last 2 days.  The Red Sox have a great offense we are going to need everyone available for that series to win 2 out of 3.

• Upvote 3

It’s weird how the opinion of Hyde is so totally disconnected from the results. His team is performing better than most of us predicted for the second season in a row (SSS this season) with a roster that still  contains a bunch of cast offs playing key roles and yet some people want to fire him. Some fans aren’t happy with a win unless Hyde manages the way they want even though mostly what people seem to want is for Hyde to manage in an incredibly predictable style often advocated by play by play commentators. 

• Upvote 1