O's All Star Predictions

Bahama O's Fan

Players who I definitely think should be considered for the All Star game at this moment in time and are not pitchers...

Santander

Mullins

Rutchsman

Hays

Frazier and Gunnar might climb their way into consideration if they continue to trend upward through next month. I say that about Gunnar because I remember how hot last season's rookie of the year, Julio Rodriguez, became in Jun/July and I believe Gunnar has the same talent. 

Cano isn’t going to make it.  League is starting to figure him out a little.  He will have good numbers but not the insane non-closer numbers you need. At the moment Phil Maton’s numbers are basically the same, for example.  Rutschman is the only sure thing.  Mullins could be an injury replacement.  Outside chance Bautista makes it. 

Edited by baltfan
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

Cano isn’t going to make it.  League is starting to figure him out a little.  He will have good numbers but not the insane non-closer numbers you need. At the moment Phil Maton’s numbers are basically the same, for example.  Rutschman is the only sure thing.  Mullins could be an injury replacement.  Outside chance Bautista makes it. 

I mean, Maton is having a great season too but Cano's numbers are better across the board. 1.9 rWAR vs 1.0 rWAR. 12 base runners in 26.2 innings vs 15 in 23.1 innings. Plus he is pitching in a significantly higher leverage role and thus has been significantly more valuable by win probability added. 

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I mean, Maton is having a great season too but Cano's numbers are better across the board. 1.9 rWAR vs 1.0 rWAR. 12 base runners in 26.2 innings vs 15 in 23.1 innings. Plus he is pitching in a significantly higher leverage role and thus has been significantly more valuable by win probability added. 

I am not disagreeing with you or saying Cano isn't deserving.  I am just being realistic in that he is not a closer and would have to have otherworld numbers to make the team.  I just suspect that his numbers will be really good around the break, but not necessarily insane enough for a manager to take him over Bautista.  

While we have the second best team in baseball, we have no true superstars. There is no hitter that is feared by other teams. There is no real pitcher than you can trust to come in and take over a game. We gotta upgrade to get past the first round of the playoffs.