Sunday, May 28: Orioles try to avoid being swept for the first time all year

SteveA

Listening to the game on the MLB app - the game is blacked out here in Texas (which is ridiculus).  Geoff Arnold and Brett Hollander are absolutely terrible together on the radio.  They are fine separately when paired with a better broadcaster, but together are horrible.  They spent most of the last inning talking about salmon colored shorts and completely ignored the game.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Many ways up the mountain and there are plenty of other relievers who put up similar numbers and would command far less. If you look at production, Danny Coulumbe is having a similar year for us. Finnegan is alright, Yates is good, Clase, Robertson, there are a few guys that deliver similar results without the flash of 103 and there are also diamonds in the rough like Danny or like Suarez that can give you the same level but without the flash. I trust our scouts to find those guys as they have time and time again.
    • Closer by committee or not, the issue with the pen is that you need a guy with superb strikeout numbers to tilt the odds in extras with the ghost runner.  That is one of the hidden values in a guy like Bautista that gave us such a competitive advantage in 1 run games (in particular in extra innings). That and he could go for more than 3 outs (like he did 9 times last year). Luckily our team is better this year so we are not as reliant on winning close games. However, the day will come (in the postseason) where we will need to win a “battle of the bullpens” type of game. Right now I don’t like our odds in that scenario (especially if we were facing a team like the Yankees).
    • Again, it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of this equation. The question is, what do you do with Urias?  The other part is easy. 
    • He’s aging so badly?  What an awful take. He has had a bad 55 at bats this year.  What other evidence do you have that he is “aging badly”? He had an OpS over 700 for the second half and it was in the mid 700s in September of last year, with a really strong OBP. So, it’s not like he was garbage for most of last year heading into the offseason and is continuing to struggle.  This is just a SSS of awful production.
    • Agreed the whole he is getting old argument is not even an argument.  Did he just get old the last two weeks?  He was by far our best reliever the first 4 weeks of the season.  He had pitched 11 innings gave up 5 hits and  walked 2 with 7 saves.  Then the struggles came and the back injury which most likely made him change something in his mechanics even if he isn't still hurt sometimes you get in bad habits trying to keep away from the pain.  It is more mental then physical at that point.  
    • Yep..which is why I’m very hesitant to trade HK for him.    Hell, it wouldn’t shock me if he didn’t even make it through this season. If I  were the Os, I would be offering something like Norby, Stowers and solid lower level lottery ticket like Mordan.  That’s a solid return for a reliever, regardless of how talented he is. 2 everyday guys with solid upside and a potential long term answer at C.
    • What makes Norby better than Mayo? And what is Norby’s place on this team next year even? With all the talent on the team currently and all the better/more talented INF in the Minors in front of him, I don’t see a regular place in the lineup going into the future. He will serve a much better purpose in being included in a trade IMO than to start his clock now.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now